• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Interesting Dakota Article I found.

Mopardude

Reaction score
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/11/dodge-dakota-pickup-production-ends-after-2011.html

Sad to see this happen to the Dakota. I have own various years of Dakotas and its an awesome truck. Only reason why I own a Ram now is I was disgusted with some of the changes they did to the Dakota in 06 and I wanted a bigger truck that was more capable of hauling bigger things. Makes me sick to see Dodge going more of the Euro way with all of its lines, than brands like Toyota are finally figuring out what we like and building the trucks we want. Its not right!

To bad, my dad has one he tows behind his motor home. He was just commenting to me the other day that he hasn't seen an ad on TV for the new Dakotas.

i have to agree the loss of the Dakota isn't a good thing it was the only truck in its size class good room for us taller big guys and could carry a big payload i have had one of each body style haven't had one i didn't like i think it a mistake of dodge to drop it but who care s what we think well guess i got that off my chest

I bought my 02 R/T new in 2002.
Guess I will hold onto it forever.
I never liked the dakota after the 2004 production year.
Mine has been a great truck, and with only 52,000 miles, I expect it will be around for a long time.
In all the years I have had it, the only things I had to replace were the starter (3months ago) and the battery a year ago.
I can't say it is unexpected to see the end of the dakota production.
As soon as th 05 came out, I said to all my friends, dakota is on it's way out.
Bob.

Yea when they switched to its current body style and basically made the chassis on both the 2wd and 4wd the same I thought the same thng that this was going to kill it.

When you dont listen to buyers about the ugly styling it happens.

This actually may not be a bad thing, it should make them more valuable as the years go by especially the R/T.

This actually may not be a bad thing, it should make them more valuable as the years go by especially the R/T.

Umm..... Hate to burst your bubble, but as long as it's a truck, it isn't worth crap........

Plus I have seen RT's going for pretty cheap in decent condition. I don't think the RT stamp doesn't have the cred on new vehicles as it does on the old muscle cars.

would like you all to know i am picking up another dakota today its a 2002 R/T 5.9 with a kenne bell supercharger the truck has only 25000 miles on it its in great shape after i get it home i'll take some pic's and post them

would like you all to know i am picking up another dakota today its a 2002 R/T 5.9 with a kenne bell supercharger the truck has only 25000 miles on it its in great shape after i get it home i'll take some pic's and post them

Very Nice!

Plus I have seen RT's going for pretty cheap in decent condition. I don't think the RT stamp doesn't have the cred on new vehicles as it does on the old muscle cars.

Anything with the R/T logo(if indeed it is an R/T) is worth more than the standard edition because as a rule, the R/T was better equipped, both in engine, and appointments.
Now that the Dakota is biting the dust, we who have, and maintain them are in a position to see them worth more as the years progress.
It all depends on supply and demand.
Being out of production will , in most cases increase the value, if one holds on to it for years.
Case in point, I have a friend that has a 1956 Desoto Adventurer.
He purchased it new in 56.
They stopped production of the Desoto in 1960 or 61, and the value of that Adventurer hit the roof.
He could easily get over $100,000 for it today if he were going to sell it.
I am not saying the dakota will ever reach that earmark, but in years they will be worth some big bucks now that production has ceased.
Bob.

I don't disagree with RT's should be worth more, I don't see the difference in prices being as extreme as they are on 40 years old and older. My take on it is that vehicles of today will never grow in value like the ones from 40 years ago and more. There is to many of them produced compared to back than. Paints and protectants are way better now than from those days. Plus most newer vehicles are mostly plastics or composites. Plus you never know what politics and technology will happen to change. If Al Gore and his cohorts had there way we all would be taxxed so bad we wouldn't even be able to afford vehicles or anything fun.

As stated you just have to keep them for a while. As far as the R/T's go it will be the 98 and 99 that will be worth the big bucks as only 2000, and 3000 were made.

As stated you just have to keep them for a while. As far as the R/T's go it will be the 98 and 99 that will be worth the big bucks as only 2000, and 3000 were made.

Because the 97 - 04 all looked the same, and for the most part, had the same equipment, they should all be about the same value in years to come.
Being rare does not always equate to high value, but more often ,make, and condition dictate value.
Case in point, a AMC pacer though not many were produced, the value on these is non-existant.
Bob.

I'll keep my two going, thank you very much. I got the R/T version that really means something.
MOPAR POWER!

Umm..... Hate to burst your bubble, but as long as it's a truck, it isn't worth crap........
Don't bet on it

Its true. I have a 42 Dodge Pickup very rare since production of civilian vehicles was pretty much non existant during this year. I have checked around to see what the value would be, hoping I found a rare jewel that could bring me great riches. Yea pretty much since its a truck it will never be worth anything. Trucks are just not sought after as far as high end collectors go.

Because the 97 - 04 all looked the same, and for the most part, had the same equipment, they should all be about the same value in years to come.
Being rare does not always equate to high value, but more often ,make, and condition dictate value.
Case in point, a AMC pacer though not many were produced, the value on these is non-existant.
Bob.

First it was only 98 and 99 that were limited production vehicles, second the R/T is no Pacer.

Back