• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hydraulic clutch master cylinder mount?

volaredon

Reaction score
I have an 85 d150 project truck here, and I just got all the stuff I need to put in an 833od 4 speed trans. Everything. And though it came with the z bar and all the mechanical linkage needed to put it in that way, the Bell housing that came with the pile of parts has the bracket on it for the factory style hydraulic clutch slave cylinder. While I've heard of them, I know that around that time they switched them to a hydraulic clutch activation setup.ive never seen a truck if this era that had it.
How did the hydraulic clutch master connect to the firewall?
That was the only part not included with the pile, the rest of the hydraulic setup oh and the clutch fork.
Related question/ which style clutch fork did these use?
Also the pic I see on Rock Auto for the original style replacement hydraulic setup looks very much like the one that was on my 97 wrangler. Any chance it is? If so I have a hydraulic clutch master and slave left over from my days of owning that.

Ok 1 more/ as long as I'd be converting a currently automatic equipped truck to a stick anyway, would I be better to use an aftermarket hydraulic clutch setup such as a McLeod type deal vs the factory style setup? This truck has a mighty slant 6 in it (which is staying) so not a "race truck".

Someone is going to chime in here that has that setup. The last one I saw was an 87 with /6. Seems it had two bolts on firewall for master, a remote fluid reservoir and the slave on the bell housing. The master pressure tube goes to the slave. They worked very well (B150) nice and smooth but, a bear to bleed. I'm not sure if this helps any. I have that setup in my stash from an 87 that I'm saving for the next /6 project. PS. Summit has a few good pictures of the setup.

Still waiting for reply here.
And oh the box all of this was in fell apart and I found out that the fork is in the pile of parts so that mystery is solved.

I can't recall for sure, but I thought the firewall had a reinforcement plate where the clutch master was mounted to reduce firewall flex. I haven't seen one in a long time so I am going off of memory. I just looked at a clutch master on Rock Auto and it threads into the firewall, 1/4 turn or 1/2 turn.

Figured it out, my son's ram charger has a stick, he converted it a few years ago, so I can copy his.
I just got a deal on a factory -replacement, American made clutch master and slave combo (old stock) via ebay for a great price. I've been slowly buying stuff for this project, as deals come my way, most of everything I've bought for it has been brand new 30-40 year old stock. Not much factory NOS but from brands no longer readily seen anymore, that used to be top grade stuff..... From companies such as Niehoff ignition, modine, 4 seasons, TRW, etc. And I've "stocked up" when possible for future needs....

I knew I had one somewhere. This from a 86-87 van. Slave on bell housing. Maybe a 77 don’t remember. Craig

image.jpg

Last edited:
Yup the Bell housing I have also has that.... More wondering about the other end (master cyl on firewall)
I don't remember the fork I got with my pile having that rearward bend

Another question..... Is the clutch pedal the same for a truck with factory hydraulic activation vs a truck with conventional mechanical linkage style activation? Hopefully someone else out there is still reading this thread..... Have to look at the kids truck and see what his clutch fork looks like, too.

Back