• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hub question!

victa15

Reaction score
So Im going to be swapping over 3/4 ton axels on to my w200. It now has 85 ramcharger drivetrain. it has manual locking hubs. My question is do I have to switch over the manual locking hubs on to my 3/4 ton axels from a 77 w200 that was full time 4x4 when I do the swap? if I don't would it burn up my Transfer case?

You will need hubs for the 77 3/4 ton axles if you don't want everything inside moving while you drive. Not sure if the half ton hubs would work on the 3/4 ton, I think they are different size? You can keep them the way they are and the transfer case should be fine. I had an 84 with full time 60's under it and a part time case and never had any issues.

also I was planning to put the 400 in with the tranny and transfer case. right now I have a rebuilt 318 in it right now with a np208. So I was thinking on not putting the front drive shaft on right now until I do that. I wonder how it will drive with 37s and just a 318. its mildly built so it should be good to go. but I want to rebuild the 400 and put it in

my ramcharger had a hubless front drive , we broke the front drive f...n around on a trail . hit a stump , blew the spiders n pin . thought i'd drop the driveline and carry on , but it used the transfer case to turn the rear driveline , it needed the front driveline held by the front drive to turn the rear . i had to put it in full 4x4 to get it to go forward or backwards . so i pull the cover and took the broken parts out . put the cover back , and drove it home . if its a full time transfer case , you have to modify it to work like a normal one with free wheeling hubs .

well the transfer case isnt full time 4x4 and the axle im putting in is. So I would have to swap out the hubs to locking hubs

Last edited:
Back