• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

How to fully drain an auto transmission?

Cranky1

Banned Old Stinky Fart
Reaction score
Not sure if there's a drain on the TC and if there is, I'm not too sure I want to mess with it. Years ago I pretty much drained a trans by forgetting about the lines not being hooked up and was going to move the vehicle and realized what I did when it stopped moving. Well, figured I might give that a shot. I know the pump will move fluid when in neutral....so....what's a better way to fully drain the transmission....if that's even possible?

A flush machine is the best, but you can drain the pan, change the filter, refill the pan and remove a cooler line and run it into a drain pan, refill the pan and do it again, about 12 qts will totally change all the fluid. You will need a helper so you can hold the hose. What kind of truck? Ford had a drain from early 90's to about 2002

Sorry I just noticed it's in the dodge dakota forum, I don't think they had drains

was thinking about that this morning myself. We use to change oil in big diesels that could not be shut off by pulling the drain plug and dumping in oil till it can out clean. With external filters and bypass the filters were changed one at a time.

One way would be pulling the cooler return line. Dropping the pan, change the filter, add new fluid, start engine, put in neutral, keep adding fluid until it comes from the return line clean and hook the line backup. I have no idea what the fluid requirement for this would be. But it would flush the convertor at least. The only way to completely change the fluid is a rebuild anyway.

Good info guys

just checking trans stuff refresher, my sometimers maybe acting up...LOL
I'll be doing mine this summer

Back