• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

how much torque - 1/2" lug studs/nuts

lilredridinghoo

Reaction score
hi there, last Friday afternoon i was teached again not to trust previous owners or other guys work.

the picture will tell....

driving around 35-40 mph i just heard a "BANG" and the truck starts wobbling and steering wheel start to shake.

so i stopped and found the right front wheel held by only two remaining lug studs/nuts ...two studs and one nut were gone.

after i got the truck home with wrecking service from the German Automobil Club ADAC ... (which took some hours, coz a Pick Up that size is not common and they have to find a suitable Wrecker to get the job done) ... i stripped down the brake assembly and showed what was left from the studs to a befriended mechanic. And he assumes that the studs may broken due to excessive force/torque.
Since i owned the truck i havn´t touched the lug nut or the wheels, just because there was no need to (and i trusted the previous owner, that he had torqued the wheels correctly)

Which leads me to my question now: How much torque for a chrome steel wheel and 1/2" UNF-Studs ?

30127617_1846571318740821_3993310863225392686_n.jpg

the wheel is shot, lucky me i got two more spare rims for the truck when i bought it last year

Last edited:
If people left the owners manual with the vehicle this information would be readily available. I have saved them on vehicles being scraped. But to what purpose do they serve the po when they no longer own the vehicle?
What year and make of truck many afect whats required for wheel torque. A guess would be 90 ft lbs.

Didn't go old enough to do me any good. That and I dont have a 350 ft lb torque wrench to make sure the nuts get set at 325 anyway.

IMO, You may need to re-torque new studs several times.

My '77 SM say's 85-125 foot pounds. Never broke a lug stud on the AW Ramchargers or Trailduster that I had.

an old mid 80's picture...........
77Ramcharger.jpg

thank you all for your replies... new studs are pressed in and have my "spare" 8" wide rims on the truck now. lug nuts are torqued with 85 foot pounds now...

Back