• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

How do I turn this light off?

cudamark

Reaction score
Hi folks,
Does anyone know how to turn the "maintainance required" light off in a '91 Dodge full size pickup with a 360 and 4 speed?
Thanks, Mark
..................................................................................................,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Problem solved. It's a bit more complicated than the procedure Joey detailed (at least with a Snap-on scanner) but not ridiculous if you know which menu to follow. The connection for the scanner is under the hood. It's an "L" shaped connector on a pigtail. You have to plug in the scan tool, power up the scan tool, turn the key to the "on" position, and then thumb through several menus to find the one that has the "reset maintainence light" heading. Reseting the trouble codes won't do it.....it's on a separate menu. Thanks everyone, Mark

Last edited:
Try this:

1. Insert the cable from the OBD I scan tool into the diagnostic port located to the left of the steering column below the dashboard.
  2. Turn the ignition switch to the "ON" position without starting the engine.
  3. Press the power button on the OBD I scan tool if it does not come on automatically.
  4. Press the "scan" button on the scan tool if the scan does not start automatically. Wait for the scan to complete.
  5. Press the "clear" or "erase" button on the scan tool to clear the maintenance required light.
  6. Turn the scanner off. Disconnect the cable from the diagnostic port.

Would that be the same as a check engine light? I have the sequence of operations written down if it is the same.

Try this:

1. Insert the cable from the OBD I scan tool into the diagnostic port located to the left of the steering column below the dashboard.
  3. Press the power button on the OBD I scan tool if it does not come on automatically.
  4. Press the "scan" button on the scan tool if the scan does not start automatically. Wait for the scan to complete.
  5. Press the "clear" or "erase" button on the scan tool to clear the maintenance required light.
Go Joey go. :amen:

Try this:

.........................................................................................................
Is that the little 2 terminal connector next to the hood release? I don't have an OBD1 scan tool. Is there another way?
Thanks, Mark

Nope, not the same as the MIL. The "maintenance required" light was an indication that the truck should be taken in for an evap system check. Supposed to come on every 30K or so. That's when it popped on in my '89 Ramcharger. When it got over 100K the light just stayed off. Guess Chrysler figured it wouldn't reach over the century mark?

Back