• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

HOT ROD DODGE - Swapping 440 CU IN Plant into slant six 85 Dodge Truck - Experience Welcome

3/4" ? That doesn't sound right . Normally with an RB block in one of these , the valve cover is right against the edge of the booster . The B block "just" clears . Hmmm . Does he have the transmission in yet ?

I'm pretty sure he does but if not it could be leaning down in the back ... the truck is a heavy half .. maybe it has the smaller booster but doesn't look like it in the pic

No , I just went back and looked at the picture and I'd have to say he's got the bigger one . Again , Hmmmm . There's a big difference between the two . I normally don't like posting pictures of my stuff on someone else's thread ( So no disrespect intended ) but here's a shot of the smaller one .
IMG_4286.JPG

Also , If he hasn't tried to mount the transmission yet . When he does , If the mount or the cross member doesn't line up ( Off about an inch ) . Then he used the wrong motor mount brackets , he used the 4x4 ones . Just a heads up , before he pulls his hear out over it . lol

Thanks for the pic bear the motor looks really nice. Hopefully he'll jump on later today or in the next few days to speak directly. I was only able to speak with him a few minutes earlier.

I'm guessing he doesn't have the transition installed, it looks like the engine slopes down towards the firewall. II'm pretty sure he will need that smaller booster. Look up a 72 w200. That's what's in my truck! Or as bear said, late 80's 3/4 ton. Make those counter guys work at the parts store and have them look up mid and late 70's and mid and late 80's 3/4 ton trucks. Probably all the same part number.

No problem , Tell him that he's more then welcome over here ! :D

I'm guessing he doesn't have the transition installed, it looks like the engine slopes down towards the firewall. II'm pretty sure he will need that smaller booster. Look up a 72 w200. That's what's in my truck! Or as bear said, late 80's 3/4 ton. Make those counter guys work at the parts store and have them look up mid and late 70's and mid and late 80's 3/4 ton trucks. Probably all the same part number.

No problem , Tell him that he's more then welcome over here ! :D

Thanks guys!

So it's been about a week . How's the motor swap going ?

He's accumulating parts and plans to fire it up this week or next weekend. He bought several needed items and we went to my parts stash to fill in missing items yesterday. He wants to get the engine fired up before installing the trans to make sure it's gonna be fine as neither of us have ever heard it run.. I.e. he doesn't want to get to far along if there should be an issue with the engine. We don't expect one but reasonable to check it at this stage.

It's gonna be an awesome ride soon!

OOOOOOhhhh , Trust me . Big block trucks are FUN ! The 440 Warlock I have now is the second one that me personally have built and owned ( The first was a big block lil red ) and have either helped or built a few others for other people . I hope both rear wheels spin in that truck ? If not , He's going to be changing that right rear a lot . lol

Very interesting
I'll keep an eye on/follow this one too...
Probably not comment much thou...

Very Interesting Laugh In's Arte Johnson Nazi.jpg

Very interesting
I'll keep an eye on/follow this one too...
Probably not comment much thou...

Thanks for stopping by Budnicks. He's a young guy who loves Mopars so you just gotta love that. He's currently saving up to get a 10.5" cast crank engine flywheel. We're looking forward to hearing it fired up soon.

Thanks for stopping by Budnicks. He's a young guy who loves Mopars so you just gotta love that. He's currently saving up to get a 10.5" cast crank engine flywheel. We're looking forward to hearing it fired up soon.
Oh there's nothing like turning that key for the first time . :D

Oh man, I'm thinking about doing this to my 84, I've got two 440's one for my GTX and one out of my grandfathers old 76 Dodge vogue. I've been planning on it for over a year now, just can't find the time. Definitely following this post!

S.O.B. ...... I AM so GLAD I have a '67....... BIG OLE engine compartment, and no need of all this special crap for me. bigger goes in just fine! Altho, I have a 383 low deck block, not a raised deck block like the 440!

LOVE the thread.... I'm working on a '87 W150..... Has a 318 in it with a 360 4 barrel intake, and Edelbrock carb..... Needs cleaned up tho!

Already did this swap---use a 1980 brake booster for a 3/4 ton 2wd truck its about 9 inches in dia. It will clear the valve cover. The worst thing is the radiant heat into the cab from the engine and exhaust. Mine has the truck manifolds on it also and u can feel the heat inside. I have the inside covered with the reflective sound/heat deadner and it still gets warm. Mine has a 518 trans with a low gear set and a 4.10 gear. and a 3/4 ton model also. Tossed the carb and added 92 model port fuel injection. Love it. 15 second 6000lb truck.

Back