• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hello from Chicago (Wow, I'm a poet and don't even know it)

krazykuda

Reaction score
:yo:

Hi guys, I just joined today. This is my second post.

I live in the south west suburbs of Chicago and have two almost identical 98 Chevy full size extended cab 4x4 pickups. Both teal with pewter lower two tone paint, extended cab 4x4 with factory trailer tow and 5.7 L vortec V-8, third door in rear and gray interior.

I had to get the second one as my first one got t-boned in Detroit picking up some parts and bringing my youngest son home for his high school physical (he was visiting his mom & grandparents during summer). My first one was SUPER CLEAN with only three minor flaws in the paint and looked brand new (no rust). It is so clean, people are bothering my ex-in-laws (I like to call them my outlawz) by stopping by either every day or every other day asking if it is for sale (even smashed). My crappy insurance company only gave me less than two thirds of what I had into it, so I kept it and paid them for the scrap value. I'm going to try to get the mechanical damage fixed and get it road driveable and then decide what to do from there. I was hit in the drivers side at about 40 -45 MPH by a guy who blew a red light driving a smaller economy car. The drivers side got damage from the door and pushed the rear tire into the back of the wheel well. It would not drive in 2 wheel drive, but would in 4 wheel drive, however I could only do 10 -15 mph and you could hear and feel the rear driveshaft banging on the floorboard. But it still drove and the driver's door still opens and closes properly! Very impressive after a good hit like that. I just bought the truck last November with 72 k original miles and drove it on five parts runs out east and put it up to 92 k before it got hit. It has the cowl induction hood scoop, sliding rear window, step bars, rhino liner with plastic bed liner on top of it, electric brakes for trailer, electric transfer case, and a Kenwood Excelon stereo with a subwoofer that sounded awesome. Since I used it for long road trips, I put a good stereo in it to keep me entertained.

So, I had to find a replacement for it. I collect and restore old Mopar cars and use it to haul parts and tow my cars when necessary. I ended up finding another 98 full size 4x4 extended cab, factory trailer tow, third door with the same two tone teal and lower pewter paint with 80 k on it. It has almost no rust (the only rust is surface rust in the box because the previous owners did not put a bed liner in it and the second owner was a company that made tractor seats and loaded pallets in the rear). So the box is scuffed up with a few minor dents. I plan to get the box repainted and then a spray in liner. When the spray liner cures, I will have a plastic box liner put in as with my last truck. The spray liner is good to prevent scuffing, but will still dent when loading heavy parts (axles, engines, transmissions, etc) so I will use the plastic liner to keep from putting more dents in the box. I had a beater 95 truck with the plastic liner and you could throw heads and transmissions in it without hurting anything. This one also has the manual transfer case instead of electric. I can interchange body parts with the old one and not have to repaint them!!! I have to keep the "old" one in driveable condition so my city does not get on me for storing it in my back yard. The "new" truck has running boards instead of the step bar, no sliding rear window and stock hood. I have already put a new Kenwood stereo in it and am trying to decide if I should order a new subwoofer, or take the one out of the "old" truck. I have already done all of the maintenance to it: flush the radiator, new hoses, new belt, plugs, wires, change fluid in axles and transfer case. the trans was replaced with a new one a year ago, so that should be good to go. All I have left to do is get the front end aligned and fix the box. :)

Welcome from the left coast. I was gonna say something about the cool factor of finding a second truck that is similar to the first, or the games you could play swapping the bent truck out with the good one in parking lots, but I haven't had my coffee yet. Make something up, laugh, pretend I said it. I'm going to get my coffee........

Welcome from Northeast Arkansas krazykuda :tea: I bet you have a good idea who I am.:drum:
Glad you jump in and joined up on this cool truck site :fencing:

memike :tape:

Well, I rented a u-haul and tried to go get my old truck back this weekend. Epic failure. My old truck does not fit on the trailer. U haul charged me until monday for the trailer and won't refund the difference if I bring it back early. Now working on a plan D, E, & F to figure out how to get this truck from Detroit to Chicago... I paid $150 to haul an empty trailer to Detroit and back....

Back