• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

getting frustrated/fed up

volaredon

Reaction score
I've been wanting to go back full size. Never owned anything but a Dodge. No reason to change now. but getting tired of "not" being able to find a Dodge anything with fewer than 2 doors, dont get why Ford and Chevy still offer club cab but not Dodge
The few reg cab/8' bed Dodges I do see are all white.
If I get one Id like a reg cab 8' bed V8 in a color besides white.
NOT wanting brand new. wishing I could find one with a stick.
these 5 ft beds are all but useless, and new trucks are so disproportionate they look like something from a cartoon.

Last edited:
I was in the same boat two years ago when looking for a good used Dodge. It was like no we don't want you to have a work truck. We only want to sell to people that are trying to replace their four door car. I ended up buying a Ford F250 extended cap with 8 foot bed.
Hope you have better luck with your search. If I run across anything you are only a state away.

I WON'T buy a Ford. I have to deal with too much of their BS at work every day, as a fleet mechanic for this miserable state I live in.
If I did buy a Ford it would be old enough to have a 300 inline 6 or a 302, or 351W in it. Definitely not a 4.6 or 5.4.

You mean something that can be worked on without removing the cab. Yea that is kind of a stupid feature. Other than that I find it not to bad a truck.

something less likely to blow head gaskets or exhaust manifolds. Something without "cam phasers" to break. I see that you have also replied to my thread elsewhere about my /6 '85..... but that truck will definitely be a garage companion whenever there is the threat of salt or snow coming, once done.

well I see a '19 showed up at the local GMC dealer, 12k miles, Tradesman, Hemi, long bed, cheaper than the '18 I was looking at back in June'19.... but as all of the regular cab long beds, white with gray interior.
I looked thru carmax site a few hours ago, the only regular cabs they have that are not white are either V6, or short bed. and all are priced ridiculously from them.
I'd like to find a reg cab long bed in blue, or green, or even that new maroon they have.... you can buy a silly 4 door stupidly short bed in any color under the sun.
on that '19 local, I see it on tehir website but we drove all thru their lot after close and it must have sold already...... I aint spending $40k on a damn work truck. this '19 was about 1/2 of that. Carmax wants high 20s and mid 30s for something similar with ALOT more miles than this local one.
if I could find a '02 or older with decent ( ~125k or less) miles I'd go for that too..... but "no rust" is the kicker.... 2 or 4 wd, 318 or 360, and a stick would be better yet.

Don't think you will find anything fleet in anything but white. One color keeps the cost down. Like Henry Ford said years ago you can have any color you want as long as it's black. Kind of goes the same with fleet trucks you can have any color as long as it's white.

While I don't mind buying a truck set up for fleet duty, I see alot of fleets in other than white. That said, I don't necessarily need a "fleet" designed truck.
Or are you saying that these are the only conventional cab trucks that are available to be had?

Might be not many buy a standard cab these days. Buy a 4 door truck to haul the family and toys. No need for it to do anything else. This is what the rest of us get stuck with.
That's why I bought a third hand fleet. We ended up with a extended cab four door with 8 foot bed. Even got a good ladder rack in the deal.
It has the esentuals. Did not need the power windows and all the other goodies.

"318/360 old" as long as it isn't rotted out
Meaning back to when those were the only engines you could get in a Dodge.
My current 96 Dakota has less rust than my 99 Dakota, which has less rust on it then some 2012s (not just dodges either, I mostly have to work on Fords at work but I definitely don't want a ford) I want something rust Free.
Still waiting for the engine I have in machine shop jail for my 85 d 150. That will be a 3 season driver as my 78 sport fury is
Actually I'd love to find a mid 80s to 93 d or w 250. If I could find something rust Free, which around here I don't see many of them around any more, in any condition. So I'm looking reluctantly at newer ones, by default.i definitely want A Dodge "only". And conventional cab or cab and a half. No 4 door anything

Well been comparing prices of what few trucks like I'd want within around 100-ish miles radius of where I live. I see as old as '11s with a whole lot more miles, some with a 6 in them (definitely don't want that) for the same or in most cases more money, some aLOT more money.
I've seen some 80s trucks for sale that they want big money for....
I want to do this anyway, even if I do get a newer one/ but it's getting to where I would probably be as well off (or better) to just get the body work done on my 85 and have that be "the" truck. I do want to put my 99 Dakota, I like the 96 better. The 99 runs fine but it's 3.9 leaves a bit to be desired in the oomph department. It is currently my lowest mile daily driver at 132k, by 100k miles. My 96 4wd with it's 230k 318 still runs circles around the 99 and only about 1 -2 mpg better in that department as well

Last edited:
Here's a thought, just spitballin', but if you found a two door truck in white, could you wrap it in a different color at a decent price?

I've been wanting to go back full size. Never owned anything but a Dodge. No reason to change now. but getting tired of "not" being able to find a Dodge anything with fewer than 2 doors, dont get why Ford and Chevy still offer club cab but not Dodge
The few reg cab/8' bed Dodges I do see are all white.
If I get one Id like a reg cab 8' bed V8 in a color besides white.
NOT wanting brand new. wishing I could find one with a stick.
these 5 ft beds are all but useless, and new trucks are so disproportionate they look like something from a cartoon.

A little story: I rode with a freind the other day who just got a 2014 SuperCab Ford. Beauutiful truck with only 63K miles on it and loaded. I got in and closed the door and the cab quivered like a bowl of jelly. The back doors are suicide style and there is no center pillar to add rigidity to the cab. The rear doors latch to the floor and roof and the front door latches to the rear door! Not for me. Our round trip of 32 miles +/- on country roads was a quiver fest!

My '05 Quad Cab Ram has no such shake and my previous '98 2500 extended cab was solid also 'cause it didn't have rear doors. Same with my winter beater '95 Dakota extended cab, no rear doors no shake. I do agree the crew cab 4 doors are too much cab and too little bed but I could never live with that no center pillar shake. Just my 2c.

P.S. My '05 Ram 2500 Cummins (4 doors) has an 8 foot bed so I'm good with that........ :)

I have the same super duty cab on an 06. No reason to live with the shakes and quivers. The back doors need to latch top and bottom to close properly. Yes I wish Ford had stuck more adjustment in the latches. But over the years have driven two door regular cabs that were more annoying.

sorry don't want a Ford even if it came to me free. I have my share of Ford's BS daily, in my work as a fleet mechanic for the state of IL.....
IF they brought back the 300 I-6, 302,351W, AND the trucks that they were last used in I would consider one. but nothing newer than that.

gonna be a while, as I am up to my neck in Menard's bills from working on the house.... gotta pay off a car payment's worth to them each of the next 6 months as 6 mo same as cash was all I could muster from them.... and I ain't getting put on the hook for all that interest!
I had what fortunately wound up being a relatively minor breakdown on my 96 Dakota the other nite in the Wendy's drive up..... wound up being the infamous splice after 24 years and 230K miles..... waiting for my turn at the bitch box and it just flat out died. Cranked and would not restart..... I pushed it into a parking stall and called the wife, she came and got me, took me home for a few tools, I fixed it right there.
Good thing as my 99 is in the garage with the heater core ripped out of it..... the 96 has been rock solid// the 99, even with 100K less on it, not so much.

Im so glad the 96 was an easy fix for another reason..... I called my son for a tow home, (he has a V10 Ram and a car hauler trailer) he was under the weather, found out today he has Covid. Yesterday I found out my wife does..... Dr says wife has "mild case"..... treat like sinus infection. But that means that I too am grounded and off work for 2 weeks as well, even though I feel fine..... nother story. I need to go to JY and pull a heater box out of another 99 Dak, as I have a broken part within,,,, that never was available by itself, and the part it was sold with is also NLA...... that can wait a few days.

Here's a thought, just spitballin', but if you found a two door truck in white, could you wrap it in a different color at a decent price?
There is a '19 with 16K miles. a Hemi, reg cab 8' bed about 7 miles from here for only $19K...... but I cant deal with that right now.

yeah Ive seen them... but I dont have a business to promote, sure ain't gonna promote my employer haha..... (which is this miserable state of Illinois)

Back