• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Fuel Tank Straps?

Is your truck a 318 or a 360 truck ? The reason why I ask is because in 87 the 318 trucks where fuel injected ( with the pump in the tank ) and the 360 truck where carbed ( Mechanical fuel pump on engine ) . That could be the difference in the tank's . Even though I've never noticed a difference in the straps between the two , but I've never paid them out side by side before .

This truck is a 1987, 318ci with a carburetor. Bought this truck from a friends dad who bought it new and never changed anything. I had a 88 that I bought new and that had throttle body fuel injection with a 318. I pulled the tank out yesterday and found out that the filler neck and elbows on the sending unit in the tank are rotted also. Can't find a new filler neck through any parts dealers either. going to check some junk yards. Connecticut puts that calcium chloride stuff on the roads in the winter that rots everything!!

I have an 87 in the shop right now and others scattered around, I'll try remember to check the straps and compare - I had to replace one of them on my 93 a few years back and may even be able to find the leftover one to compare with. I think the fuel fills should be the same all years of that body style, but can't say for sure.

Okay then, I had the short (front) strap left over from my 93, that matched the measurements on the 87 at 24.5" not counting the bolt. Photos of that strap are included. The measurements of the rear strap are also the same between both trucks and it's the same style strap pictured but the length is just under 29". So I'm pretty sure if you have the same style straps shown that you can safely buy for a 93 w/20 gal tank and fix yours.
Oh yeah, couldn't see any difference from 84 to 87 to 93 fuel fill tubes either, but didn't actually take any measurements.

DSCN4005.JPG

DSCN4006.JPG

DSCN4007.JPG

Okay then, I had the short (front) strap left over from my 93, that matched the measurements on the 87 at 24.5" not counting the bolt. Photos of that strap are included. The measurements of the rear strap are also the same between both trucks and it's the same style strap pictured but the length is just under 29". So I'm pretty sure if you have the same style straps shown that you can safely buy for a 93 w/20 gal tank and fix yours.
Oh yeah, couldn't see any difference from 84 to 87 to 93 fuel fill tubes either, but didn't actually take any measurements.
Good job Polara ! That info should come in handy for anyone else having an issue with the straps in the future !

Back