• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

front suspension

Reaction score
Anyone know anything about the 03-09 crown vic suspension going under a 91
d150? I'm 30 1/2 inches from outside to outside frame rails and 70 inches track width. Any help appreciated.

Someone on septline.org did it once with a '70 D100 (not sure the year of panther chassis, though?). The 70 and 91 frames are the same width under the cab, but a little different up front. Might be worth looking up?

Just curious, but what's the reason for substituting an automobile independent suspension for the stock independent suspension? I could see swapping it for an old style straight axle, but I must be missing something. There are performmance upgrades one can make if the present suspension has shortcomings such as urethane bushings, different springs, shocks, sway bars, brakes, etc. I say this because over the years a number of people have replaced Studebaker car independent front suspensions with 2nd generation Mustang rack and pinion suspension. In most cases they had bragging rights about all the time and money they had spent, but that was just about it. In most cases the Ford suspension performed worse than the stock Stude. The alternative that was less expensive and performed better was to replace the old sagging springs with new ones, new shocks, bushings and a heavier sway bar.

This will be a drag truck. The crown vic has an aluminum k-member which is way lighter. Rack steering which is another weight saver and doesnt rob HP. Helps with getting truck lower. The whole front end comes out of the car with 8 bolts so at a local junk yard this is way cheaper than buying even just a rack and pinion steering. Also you have the option of racing brakes.

On the sweptline its 34inches outside to outside frame. Guess I could weld on some brackets to make mine wider where its needed? Just looking for some ideas. Thanks

Back