• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

frame question

gray07

Reaction score
Ok I have an 88 dodge power wagon long bed with the factory plow, what I want to do is put all the stuff on a shortbed and use my rust free stepside bed I have, can I use a 2 wheel drive frame , are all the holes in a 2 wheel drive to bolt my 4 wheel drive stuff on. its hard to find good dodge trucks these years around my area.

You could but unless the two wheel drive is a D350 forget the plow as the frame will not be heavy enough to take the stress.

You're better off shopping for a 4wd short box frame. It's a bit of work to convert a 2wd to a 4wd. All the 2wd suspension parts have to be cut off, the engine crossmember removed to be replaced by the 4wd version and drill and mount the rear spring hangers. Absolutely it can be done as I'm working on a frame right now that has that done to it. And as 7mopar said, frame thickness is something to be noted. The 2wd will be lighter than a 4wd version IIRC. Too bad you weren't a little closer. I have a 78 power wagon short box frame collecting dust that's probably never going to get used. Just my 2c.

let me ask, my friend has 2 trucks up forsale for parts one is a 79 other a 77 can I use the frame from one of those for my 88

Absolutely you can. Everything should bolt right on to the older frame. You'll have to do some checking on which gas tank you will need. Depending on whether it's going to be fuel injected or carbed. Mounting and straps will be different between the two. You'll also probably need to use the 88 trans cross member too. I'm assuming you are wanting to use the 88 running gear. There will probably be a couple other things to address but nothing major. Much easier than converting a 2wd to a 4wd.

Back