• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Ford or Dodge?

Maria Sosa

Flogrown087
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am looking to get a diesel truck and I have always been a fan of Ford... and after talking to a lot of people I am now debating... Which new diesel truck engine would y'all recommend ?

I'm biased towards the Ram and Cummins power, but I see plenty of Ford's around here, and they both are pretty good trucks. It basically comes down to which one you like better.

Both are great trucks and they both have their pros and cons. I own both so can't be to negative :D

Your looking at 2019? Both are pretty good, kinda like the Ram more.
I am looking at 2019. I went to the dealer and test drive both 2018 and 2019 2500 but my heart is set on the 19. The horsepower on the 19 increased and it feels smoother. I’m just waiting now for them to go down in prices, msrp for the model I want is way too high.

I'm biased towards the Ram and Cummins power, but I see plenty of Ford's around here, and they both are pretty good trucks. It basically comes down to which one you like better.
Haha, why would you say that you are biased?

I agree I don't think you can go wrong with either. I would tend to lean toward the Cummins and Ram brand myself if I was going for a new Diesel truck.

I agree I don't think you can go wrong with either. I would tend to lean toward the Cummins and Ram brand myself if I was going for a new Diesel truck.
I’ve always been a fan of ford.. but I think it was more looks than anything else. When I was about to spend over $45,000 on a truck, I said let me do some research first, what will last longer, what will somehow keep its value, and from everything I’ve read Cummins diesel engine is the best bet.

Haha, why would you say that you are biased?
Becaus I own eight Dodge vehicles! I just rebuilt the steering and brakes on my '98 Ram 2500, I love the truck, even if it is a gas engine, and plan on keeping it til I die, no kidding. Cummins engines are proven performers, and can be built to whatever level you want or need. And I prefer the looks of a Dodge/Ram truck, the lines carry over the different years, and they have a very similar profile that I can spot a mile away.

Trucks are priced way too high in my opinion, when you can get a car with almost 800hp or a diesel truck, it almost makes that car look affordable! Or go gas and get 485hp, it's nuts. That's why I keep my 20 years old truck!

Depending on how long you keep the truck the Cummins over the long term has a better reputation IMO than the Powerstroke. The newer 6.7L Powerstroke is really good though. As I said I don't think you could go wrong with either truck. Good luck to whatever you choose.

I’ve always been a fan of ford.. but I think it was more looks than anything else. When I was about to spend over $45,000 on a truck, I said let me do some research first, what will last longer, what will somehow keep its value, and from everything I’ve read Cummins diesel engine is the best bet.
For a new 2500 series diesel, Ford or Dodge, you're looking at quite a bit more than $45,000. That being said, Cummins power is the way to go.

I am biased towards Dodge, but both new you'll get a warranty and both will be good trucks. Whoever gives you the best deal, best warranty, be sure to look at the bottom line. Post pictures of what you bought!

I’m a Chevy guy. Can’t believe they didn’t make the running for you. But of your two choices I’d go Dodge. I’ll probably get one next time I buy a truck. I’ll probably buy a 5500 cab chassis and in the dodge you can get it as nice as you want. Chevy finally came back out with their medium duty truck but unfortunately it’s either cloth or vinyl seats. Dodge over the last 10 years has really stepped up their fit and finishes. The Cummins has always been a great engine.

Back