• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

First year for front disc brakes on 4-wheel drive?

bikinkawboy

Reaction score
I know they were discs in '77, but drums in '72.

And just a big of trivia, but the first production American car to have disc brakes was Studebaker in 1963, 9 years ahead of Dodge. It was an option on the Hawk GT and Super Lark, the sporty version.
John

I don't have my cheat sheet notebook handy, but I believe '74 was the first year of front disc.

I know cars were mandatory after Jan 1 of '76, but I think trucks got them standard ahead of that.

Dodge started in 74 on all light duty, 1/2 ton tucks with dics brakes, 3/4 and 1 ton in 75.

As for cars the first production was the Chrysler Crown Imperial had them first as standard equipment at the beginning of the 1949 model year.

You guys are correct, I did come checking and the 1949 Crosley and the 1950 Chrysler Town & Country Newport had disc brakes, with the latter having them on all four wheels. Something else they had in common was problems with them sticking after getting dirty, which is probably why Chrysler dropped them shortly thereafter. During their 4 year production run, Crosley built approximately 2,500 units. Chrysler built 700 Newports in 1950, which according to my sources was a one year production run before coming out with the more modern body style in '51. In contrast, 13 years later Studebaker put (Bendix) discs on 4,600 Avantis as well as a several more Super Hawks and Super Larks. So I might rephrase my statement as, "the first successful use of disc brakes on production cars was Studebaker."

Back