• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

first vehicle, D 100 with sluggish 318

Wildcat79

Reaction score
Hello my name is Walter and my dad and I are working on my new/old '86 D100 with a 318 in it. I am new to all of this truck stuff. I wanted a car but don't fit in them I am 15 and 6'4 270. My dad bought me this truck and said I can do with it as I want. It runs fine 72000 miles on it.. I have tools and basic skills but no knowledge. I will do body work and paint last, the next 6 months I want to soup it up. What kinda bolt on type upgrades can I do, to give me some attitude on the road.....?

Hi Walter welcome to the site.
Can you tell us a little more about how your truck is presently equipped? Like carb, trans type? What rear end gears? There should be a tag either on the radaitor support or on the bottom side of the hood.

Welcome to the site Walter . Like "7mopar" said , we could use some more info on what you have now . If your truck is still all stock then more then likely it's running a 318 2 bbl. with smog pump , automatic ( 727 ) , single exhaust ( with cat ) and ( hopefully ) 3:55 gears in the back . But before can we suggest anything for you to do to her you have to let us know what you have for sure to start with . Also are you just looking for a few basic up grades or are you prepared to tear into the motor and ad maybe a cam or some heads ?

Hi Walter welcome to the site.
Can you tell us a little more about how your truck is presently equipped? Like carb, trans type? What rear end gears? There should be a tag either on the radaitor support or on the bottom side of the hood.

I found a tag on the hood but it does not say what the rear end gears are. Other than that it is a stock truck.... Automatic 2 barrel carb.

Welcome to the site Walter . Like "7mopar" said , we could use some more info on what you have now . If your truck is still all stock then more then likely it's running a 318 2 bbl. with smog pump , automatic ( 727 ) , single exhaust ( with cat ) and ( hopefully ) 3:55 gears in the back . But before can we suggest anything for you to do to her you have to let us know what you have for sure to start with . Also are you just looking for a few basic up grades or are you prepared to tear into the motor and ad maybe a cam or some heads ?
Yes it's is as u described.... And I am probably looking to add basic upgrades.... I am not skilled enough to "tear into the motor" . I want it to be a daily driver type with a little attitude. Upgrade performance and make it rumble a little bit..... Thanks for responding....

Walter glad your dad is willing to help with the this. How are you equipped as far as tools? If you are using dads remember to put them away when gone working on your truck. Best place to start would be making it safe brakes, lights, exhaust, steering, suspension, tires and exhaust all are pretty basic and a good place for upgrades. A good factory repair manual would be a good source and this site will help as far as making repairs. I know there are many cheaper repair manual's out but you will find the factory manual to be a wise investment.

Best mods for a 318 are long tube headers (Summit Brand), Weiand 8007 intake, Edelbrock 1406 carburetor with electric choke.

Walter glad your dad is willing to help with the this. How are you equipped as far as tools? If you are using dads remember to put them away when gone working on your truck. Best place to start would be making it safe brakes, lights, exhaust, steering, suspension, tires and exhaust all are pretty basic and a good place for upgrades. A good factory repair manual would be a good source and this site will help as far as making repairs. I know there are many cheaper repair manual's out but you will find the factory manual to be a wise investment.
Very good advice ! Make it safe and dependable first .

Best mods for a 318 are long tube headers (Summit Brand), Weiand 8007 intake, Edelbrock 1406 carburetor with electric choke.

Headers would be good and ad a true duel exhaust to that . The eddy carb is a good choice but "don't" go any bigger then that with your 318 .

All sound advice that has been given. Im not particularly fond of eddies. I'm more of a Holley/ Quadrajet kinda guy. Jack up the back of the truck. Mark the drive shaft in conjunction with the axle housing. Now, while watching the drive shaft, rotate the tire 1 revolution. As you do so, count how many times the drive shaft turns (i.e. 3.5, 3, almost 3, or 3.75, and so on). This will give you a close estimate of your gear ratio.

Or you could just read the tag that should be on the rear diff cover . You might have to take it off and hit it with a wire brush or some sand paper to read it .

IF it's there. You can also call the local dodge dealer and they will email you a build sheet like they did for me lol my tag is non existant

All good advice, My dad said the safety one is good to start with, so we start on the brakes. Adjusted the rears but will need to replace soon.... went to check the fronts and we found that the front bearings are shot. got the parts and all went well... Dad even bought us a impact driver to use on the air compressor we already have. well I got the "hub" off and then found out that the outside bearing was "welded" to the spindle or knuckle or what ever you call it. and we are stuck at that point the spindle washer nut is also there but I think I can get that off. does anyone know what I should do next. How can I get that off with out damaging the threads on the spindle?

Support the bearing race at bottom side of spindle but do not put vehicle weight on it. Then with a sharp cold chisel and a big hammer strike the top side of the race with the cold chisel running parrell to the spindle. This should expand the race so it can be taken off. If the spindle has gotten hot enough to discolor it replace it. The spindle could possible been weakened and would not be worth the risk of it breaking later.

Get a book from the auto store for you're truck. the 318 is a solid little engine for now work on safety and while you're doing that research what all you can do with a 318. Find out if you want to keep it of toss it. learn what to do and not to do. take you're time building and when you're done you will have something to say you built. good luck man

Very good advice , both on the spindle and how to proceed after that . The 318 is a darn good motor and it shouldn't take much to wake it up and make it even more dependable . Feel free to ask any question you need to Walter . You'll find a lot of us here will lend our input were we can .

OK I am turning 16 in a few weeks and can't wait to drive my Old New Truck... We have it rolling and stopping and it runs well. Starts on the first turn of the key. I need to find a washer motor and I need to work on the transmission. it slams from 1st to second sometimes. Interior is getting done next Monday. We have sanded and ratted out the paint. will have the clearcoat on soon. It looks ugly on the outside but that is what I wanted. I really think I need to lower it a few inches all the way around. Does any one have any ideas on that.... I can't seem to find a lowering kit for it anywhere....

Back