• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

First Old Dodge. 1965 D100 Stepside

Hay "demulsion" , I have a quick question for yah since you seem to know this generation a little better then I do . ... With the straight front axle , couldn't he just flip the front and rear axles from spring over axle to axle over spring ? If he could then he could drop the truck about 2 1/2" to 3" and still keep the same ride quality . I know it works on the rear but I'm not a 100 % sure about the front with the straight front axle .

Hey bear. Yeah, the 60's trucks are my hobby. On the front straight axle, there is a big flat boss on the top with a hole for the leaf spring centering pin, and holes for the u-bolts to bolt to. The bottom side of the axle has half the surface area, and isn't flat either. Pulling a couple leaves is the easiest way to drop a couple inches. A spring under conversion in the rear drops it close to 6" as I recall...and only gives 2-3" of travel before contact with the frame.

Thanks , I was thinking something like that in the front . It's been a while since I messed with a straight front axle truck . As far as the rear then the arch in the frame must be a little less on a 65 then it is on say a 70's / 80's truck because I've done a couple of those in the past and it worked out good .

Thanks Guys. Yeah id like just a little front drop. so ill try demulsion's Spring suggestions. The Super 6 setup seems pretty straight forward and I like what I see parts wise. The Gears are my next tackle . either new tranny with a 4th we talked about or taller stock setup. Im trying to get my head around my new problem the door hinges are wobbling due to the lack of metal left in the rockers. I ordered new rockers and driver floorboard. but the metal I need to replace goes well up the Firewall / Door jam. so the Local Welder is going to be my new best friend I see. I also need to find door strikers. I think I have the wrong term but the little spinning deal that latches the door are very beat up and need new replacements. so on the hunt again. lol

You're making quick progress! Sounds like you have a good game plan.

The star wheels for the fridge handle door mechanisms are crazy hard to find in good condition. I know a guy that has a driver side assembly, and I might have a passenger side one stashed away. PM me if you want details.

130907_005.jpg Hula Girl !! Things just got real.

130907_005.jpg

She look's right at home there . lol

130924_002.jpg Sprayed engine compartment in Liner. needs one more good coat. Offenhauser Intake and Carb, Header to Come.

130924_002.jpg

Watch that screwdriver across battery posts trick,...lol. Looking great man!!!! I have a nearly complete 68 D100 318 auto with dash shifter that will probably get parted out after donating some parts for my 65 D100 318 poly, 3 on tree, and 391 gears(open). I also thought of those aluminum case OD 4speed trans to get more top end. However in these old trucks, I think that a change of rearend gear ratios will prove to be more a detriment to local driving, with non-power steering and brakes it may lunge forward faster than you are able to steer it, even with that big wheel. The trans wouldn't have the same issue where first three gears are closer to original, not affecting taking off and steering as much. Also, lose the non-synchronized first gear for synchronized. I also have a set of those baby moons but haven't looked at them recently. Lots of stuff available. Just found 2 more trucks last week. My 65 is about to get the floor replaced with a good salvage floor I found for $45, I just gotta go get it. There are lots of high performance parts available for that slant 6 too. Just keep all the original stuff in case you ever want to return to original again. I have some decent front metal too, but shipping is a lot, unless we find someone going that way. There is a guy (Jim McGee in NJ) who made a nice video of cab restore for $20, I hear it was very well done too. Alan

130925_003Y.jpg
Nice ! Thanks for the info . I am kicking around with what im going to do with this truck. Id would like to find some deep dish steel wheels. something I can use poverty caps or baby moons. but with a deep Barrel. There has to be something good around either on a old car/truck or for sale. When I look at the truck it needs a wider stance all around. I don't want Hotrod but something slick.

130925_003Y.jpg

Back