• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Engines Options

Which Engine

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • 5.7 Hemi

Votes: 5 50.0%

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

JGC403

Reaction score
I'm looking at engines to put into my '85 Ram. I was going to sell the truck, but since it doesn't have a motor currently I wouldn't get any money back by the time I get it drive-able. So I might as well keep it. Truck is going to be used as a daily driver and for towing. Improving MPG is one goal I am trying to achieve. When my grandfather had the truck with a 440 and 727 it got about 12mpg towing or not. My current DD gets around 18mpg driving back and forth to work, so I'm going to try and get at least 20mpg. I think I can achieve my mpg goal with all the engines below.

All engines will be fuel injected.

Engine Options:

Option 1: 440 (already have)
Option 2: 5.7 Hemi (if I can find one for decent price)
Option 3: 318 (usually dirt cheap)

Transmission Options:

Option 1: 727 (have)
Option 2: 833 (have)
Option 3: 833 OD (have)
Option 4: 545RFE (goes with Hemi)

What do you guys think what combination would be best for towing and DD and help with resale value if I decide to sell the truck in the future?

Last edited:
I'm guessing that you want to come out as cheap as possible. So, for towing use your 440 / 727; for a DD- 318 / 833od. But, if you pony up the cash for a 5.7 combo you will get an 18-20mpg DD that will tow anything the truck can pull, plus the future resale value.

IMO, use what ya got.

What gears are you running? If you going to set it up for any kind of towing 20 mpg is a pipe dream from my experience with the 5.7 or 318. Maybe running 3.55 gears, it could be possible. My 06 Ram quad cab for example with the 5.7 MDS tops out at 19mpg with 3.92 gears, and I really have to be gentle with it to even hit 19. Runs about 16 -18 on avg. With that being said though 06 Ram quad cab is going to be quit a bit heavier than 85 Ram.

Right now the rear has 2.94 in it. That might change based on the transmission I decide to use. Thats what i was thinking the 1st gen Ram should be a little lighter than the current Trucks. But atleast the newer trucks have some aerodynamics to them, the first gen Rams are just bricks on wheels.

My current DD, my '95 Grand Cherokee, I built a stroked 360 for it, 403ci. 4 wheel drive, 3" lift, 31" tires, using a PCM that isn't optimized for the build. I am getting between 16-18mpg. I should be able to get better than that with this truck.

Sign up over at For-Jeeps-Only with your GC! We'd like to hear more about that one too.

I belong to to many forums already, lol. I am a member over at: http://thespeedfreaks.net . Good forum if you want to make your Jeep go fast. Its a group of mostly 1993-98 Grand Cherokees but there are a couple other Jeeps in there. Here is my build thread for my ZJ, if you wanna take a look. http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread.php?4289-Project-Orange-Monster I want to rebuild the engine over the winter with a few other changes to the Jeep.

Fastest time in my ZJ in the 1/4 mile was: 13.344 @ 101.44 mph

Last edited:
Back