• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

engine swap

butch

Reaction score
Ok, I'm thinking of taking out my poly 318 in my 65 dodge 4x4 and replacing it with a 360 stock engine. Will it bolt up to my four speed granny trans??

If memory servs me right, the bolt pattern is the same between the "poly" and "LA" blocks but you will need a flywheel for a 360 though. Also make sure your 360 crank is drilled to accept a pilot brg.

I'm pretty sure (95%) that the LA and poly blocks have the same bell housing pattern. Shouldn't be a problem.

All A series and LA series 1963 and newer have the same bolt pattern. 1962 and older have the EarlyHemi bolt pattern.

As said, you will need an external balanced flywheel.

360 flywheels have three approx. 2 inch "holes" bored into the backside of the flywheel. if you find a flywheel with two holes, its a 340 flywheel, keep it, and no holes is a neutral balance 318 flywheel, which can also be used in forged crank big block engines as well. just make sure the flywheel is setup for an 11 inch clutch, not a car 10.5 inch.

Back