• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Engine Mounting Issues

StrokerMan

Reaction score
Hey guys. Looking for some help on a 1982 D250. I've installed a 408 stroker and it's amazing. Unfortunately the stock rubber engine mounts can't hold it still and it rocks something awful. I need some stronger mounts and I really don't want to put in solid mounts, or chain it, :nono: so any help would be much appreciated cuz I'm stuck! :ballchain:

First off , Are you blowing the stock mount's ? Or are you looking for something , just in case you blow the mount with this motor combo ? Like what a safety chain would do ? As far as the motor mount themselves go . I think the only option's you have are the factory rubber one's or the after market solid one's . Don't quote me on this but I don't think they make a poly mount for this aplication yet . But you could check on that . Now if your looking for something to act like a safety strap other then a chain and don't want to use a chain then there's a few way's I've done and seen other people do . The best way that I've found is useing a heavy duty double eye round turnbuckel . I used this set up on a built big block and it worked like a charm . If your not sure what this look's like then I think I have one around here that I pulled out of one of my car's that I could take a picture of for you .

The stock mounts are working for now but I really want to get them replaced before they fail. There's just too much movement for a fan shroud, which is really the only issue, aside from them wearing out. I don't want to over heat the engine but so far so good, no long distances yet. I did some looking around on the forums and found a site that sells two different poly mounts that will work on my truck. If it's not too much trouble I'd like the picture of what you're talking about though. Thanks.

Here's a picture of the turnbuckle / This one is rated at something like 2700 lb's or so . But like I said , this would act like a safety strap or chain just in case you did blow a mount . One good thing about this set up is that it can be adjusted to . IMG_1563.jpg

IMG_1563.jpg

I've used that same setup, you can adjust some slack so you don't feel any vibration. Jam nut one side to keep it from loosening too far.
If you wind up with solids here's a tip, Put a 1/4" plate on the bottom side of the drivers frame mount. I have pulled the factory washer faced nut through the frame 1/2 way around it on a 440 truck I had

Yah , This is the best safety strap idea I've figured out so far . Like bob said , as a bonus you can adjust it . Another tip is to weld the gap on the eye's togeather so they don't open up on you as well .

That's an awesome idea, thanks. I found the poly mounts so I'm gonna try those and see how they do. I'm sure they'll do fine since I'm going to try, key word try, to take it easy.

Seriously Dude? Try? I built a 408 & I'm going to try to take it easy? Ok then!
You can try those poly mounts the vibration is more subtle but even they are not bulletproof You'd be well off welding a 1/2" rod between the ears of an interlocking mount & using them

Something I have always thought about, if I ever needed, was using A-body mounts. I have always kinda thought that setup was far superior and I don't understand why they never used the same setup for the trucks.

Yea it's hard but I'm trying haha. I'm ordering the poly mounts today. I'll let y'all know how they turn out. I'm also looking into the turnbuckle setup. I'll post pics if I decide to install one.

Back