• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Engine Help

Mopar22

Reaction score
I have a 85 Dodge w-150 318 4 speed, it fires up and idles, but when u put in gear it has no power and back fires. I have checked timing it's fine, it just has no power what so ever.... I have installed new plugs, plug wires, fuel pump, and distributor.... Could the cam have a flat spot?

BTW....welcome top FTO.

Also.....new parts doesn't necessarily mean good parts.

Welcome from the Mitten. So the truck issue, it could have a flat cam. Does it have a misfire? If the cam is going flat you should have a misfire. Have you checked compression?

I was going to suggest bad torque converter, but that's not an option. Sounds like timing isn't right. Or an excessively lean fuel mixture condition will cause bad backfiring.

Is the vacuum advance hooked up right (ported vacuum)? And working correctly?
What carb is there?
Was the problem there before the parts cannon was shot at it?

A flat cam won't give you those problems, unless ALL the lobes are bad. A worn timing chain can cause all kinda of drivability issues, shifting the cam +/- 20 degrees or more.

Has the timing chain been replaced?

Just for kicks, check the catalytic converter. One of my vans did the same thing 15 years ago. Sure enough it had failed. I priced a new setup, 350-400 bucks. Screw that, I bought an aftermarket converter, cut off the old one, welded it in and was good to go. Worth a shot, hope this helps.

OP hasn't been back. Must have figured it was 180 degrees #6@#1 out or 5&7 backwards. My 2cents. Craig

Back