• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Emission testing in California

Kern Dog

Reaction score
Yesterday I took the 2007 Ram in for the emission testing that is due every 2 years. It failed.
Why? It had no open codes. No MILs....the MIL is Mopar speak for Malfunction Indicator Light. Most people have adopted the Chevrolet term...."Check engine" light since that started with Chevrolets in the 80s.
Anyway....No codes, no MILs, no smoke and it runs as smooth as new even with 399,000 miles on it so why did it fail?
The engine inside is stock. I've done maintenance including fuel injectors, a few coil packs, EGR valve, spark plugs and such. It runs great.
I have a Flowmaster muffler and dual tailpipes but that is "cat-back" and not subject to any restrictions.
I also have an approved K & N cold air intake tube and conical air filter. Apparently the EO (Exemption Order) certification number expired and hasn't been renewed by K & N. In short, the truck runs the same as it did 2 years ago when it passed the test but now that the EO number is expired, it was a failure.
I had 2 choices....either I could contact K & N to see about an updated EO sticker to affix to the intake tube OR put the stock air box and filter back on.
I did save the stock stuff just in case I needed it. It went back on in about 15 minutes and when I went back, the truck passed the test as usual.
Frigging government....

Illinois is bad enough regarding government interference and ineptness. I couldn't handle California.

I am so glad Minnesota told the California company that ran our emissions testing to go take a hike. It was Jesse Ventura specifically, who said why charge our residents so an out of state company can make $56 million a year? That was over twenty years ago, and ya know what? I haven't heard anyone claim we are worse off pollution wise since that decision was made. I had shit boxes that passed thanks to duel exhaust. I've always thought if emissions testing as a scam.

Last edited:
Yesterday I took the 2007 Ram in for the emission testing that is due every 2 years. It failed.
Why? It had no open codes. No MILs....the MIL is Mopar speak for Malfunction Indicator Light. Most people have adopted the Chevrolet term...."Check engine" light since that started with Chevrolets in the 80s.
Anyway....No codes, no MILs, no smoke and it runs as smooth as new even with 399,000 miles on it so why did it fail?
The engine inside is stock. I've done maintenance including fuel injectors, a few coil packs, EGR valve, spark plugs and such. It runs great.
I have a Flowmaster muffler and dual tailpipes but that is "cat-back" and not subject to any restrictions.
I also have an approved K & N cold air intake tube and conical air filter. Apparently the EO (Exemption Order) certification number expired and hasn't been renewed by K & N. In short, the truck runs the same as it did 2 years ago when it passed the test but now that the EO number is expired, it was a failure.
I had 2 choices....either I could contact K & N to see about an updated EO sticker to affix to the intake tube OR put the stock air box and filter back on.
I did save the stock stuff just in case I needed it. It went back on in about 15 minutes and when I went back, the truck passed the test as usual.
Frigging government....
If K&N still sells the kit for those trucks, I bet those have a current EO number. I would call K&N

I figured that they do. I swapped it back in the truck regardless.
I'm moving out of this state once we find a place just right.
This is just one of the many reasons.

I figured that they do. I swapped it back in the truck regardless.
I'm moving out of this state once we find a place just right.
This is just one of the many reasons.
In Texas, once the vehicle hits 25 years old, no more testing and I'm glad of that!! My newest vehicle is a 97....

There was talk of a rolling 20 or 25 year exemption where every year, the year models that were exempted moved forward. As usual, the greedy leeches here squashed that idea.

This is why 75 and older trucks are $3-5k more expensive. I hate this place and this is almost the #1 reason.

This is why 75 and older trucks are $3-5k more expensive. I hate this place and this is almost the #1 reason.
But in the long run the older trucks will end up being cheaper, wouldn't they? I hear catalytic converters for California are about twice the price of the rest of the nation and they only last about half the time as the ones for the rest of the nation?

Yep. 1976 and newer is a huge liability. The u pull parts places are full of vehicles whose only crime was failing the smog test.

Yep. 1976 and newer is a huge liability. The u pull parts places are full of vehicles whose only crime was failing the smog test.
Are the older vehicles from other states cheaper and will CA let you bring them in? Never dreamed we would have a commie state within the boundaries of the United States. CA sure doesn't seem to be too united anymore. I know they won't let in the old 18 wheelers and other big trucks anymore...it's crazy....what's legal in the other 49 isn't legal there.

Back