• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

electrical problems

ram150

Reaction score
My 1986 D-150 has developed electrical problems, including no dash lights, no running lights, no working gauges. no tail lights,so I replaced the headlight switch.No help. I ran a voltage test on the fuse for the gauges & the tester read .45 volts instead of the expected 12 volts. Please help if you can. Thanks to bear & all who helped with my oil sending problem P.S. (I found manual this afternoon)

Last edited:
And...did you check the ground wire for the headlamps? If it's not grounded right, or loose, it could cause some of the problems you're experiencing.

Prospect's right . Check your grounds . Especially were you were just up at the back of the motor doing your oil sending unit . There should be a body to block ground there as well .

Have you checked to see if your getting voltage into your switch ?

elect. prob

It's an 86 so it should be on his firewall .

The headlights work,but no inside lights or running lights. I ran a test on the headlight switch ground & no help. also front turn signals work , both flash in rear, No brake lights unless right turn signal is on when pedal is pressed, front hazards only. All this is a new happening as I have been driving this truck for over 16 years. Ignition has been changed (1 yr ago)& uses firewall mounted voltage stepdown to 6 volt (summit racing "orange box" Chrysler system , but that shouldn't affect lights now" Eternal vigilance is the price of freedom"

need to recheck. Don't know why the test to the hot side of gauge only shows .45 volts instead of 12 I am going out now Clean the through firewall 50 way connector with elect cleaner. the wires should go straight to fuse box.also I have replaced the turn signal harness( $70.00 +) & ran aux grounds @ all 4 turn/running lights. (grounded to inner fenders in front & to the inside of bed (behind the turn signal housing). JHB

Sure sounds like a ground problem, Have you checked the brake light switch as well?? Just throwing it out there...

I was told that brake light switch is reverse ground.,and I have no power there . I only have headlights now, no lights of any kind. no wipers no radio & no lighter (Radio went out 1st.) thanks JHB "(Eternal vigilance is the price of freedom)"

Back