• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Electric choke wiring.

stroller

Reaction score
Ok so I know many have asked this to which I am sure. But with I have not seen a question in the way I am seeking advice.
Ok so I have a '79 Dodge D-150, 360, A/T. Ok I have removed to EGR and assorted emmisions devices. With that the electric choke had a wire from the egr control supplying voltage. The choke is the one mounted on the intake not on the carb.
The harness for the egr plugs into a "control box" mounted on the drivers side fender right behind the diagnostic port, which I have never found anything to hook up into. The power for the control box comes from a red wire with a bullet connector and all the red wires from that harness are tied back into the single red wire that plugs into the control box, of the 3 wires that share the plug.
Has anyone ever just simply ran a wire from that main red plug over to the electric choke with success? I am trying to figure where to pull power. This is to the little 2 spade connector that mounts on the intake which some versions were a ceramic rectangle block with 2 spades and then others with what I have is the little disk that is mounted on the mounting strip with the 2 spades, 1 for the choke the other for power supply.
Any help would be appreciated.

I believe with out looking at a wiring diagram the place to tap would be the ignition side of the voltage regulator.
I do not know how much the state of Colorado will let you ditch but if this is a lean burn system personally I would ditch the whole system and rewire with some thing with either points or electronic ignition. But that will require a different carb, distributor, air cleaner, complete wiring and electrical components. You should be able to source these items off an 81-84 318 and some 360 equipped trucks.

This truck does not have the lean burn system I am very familiar with that set up and have done several conversion. We don't have smog checks here either. I have checked wiring diagrams for earlier models and found the hot side of the key run leads to a 5 point connection to the 4 pin ballast, voltage regulator, alternator, electric choke heater and 1 other so I found my answer but I thank you. And yes if you have the lean burn get it off.

Ditched the lean burn long ago and upgraded to the 84 wiring harness. It allows the engine wiring to be disconnected without pulling wires from every were when pulling the engine.

Sounds like you found a Ign source, the only problem that I have found with using a Ign source like that is any time the key is on the choke is hot, if you need to start it when it's cold out after testing something it could be a issue. Seldom a problem but be aware.

Back