• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Dual Tank info.

RKNRLR

Reaction score
Gday from down under! I recently purchased a 78 Dodge W200, trying to find some more info on the dual gas tank setup. I found this switch on the cab floor, was just wondering if anybody knows anything about it? Was it a dealer installed unit, or was this an aftermarket install by the original or subsequent owners? The filler neck for the 2nd tank is located in the rear wheel well on the passenger side, was this the regular positioning? Seems a bit odd, but maybe they just didnt want to put a hole in the outer skin.

Dual Tank Info.pngTank switch

Additional tank filler neck2.pngsecondary tank filler neck position

Additional tank filler neck.pngClose up

Dual Tanks.pngView from underneath

Factory gas cap position.pngFactory filler cap position?

Any help much appreciated.

That's definitely something that was not factory. Being in Texas, there's lots of open space, the extended range would be nice.

i do anywhere between 1000-1500kms a week, so it is definitely gonna come in handy.

Not sure how the auxiliary fills with the neck down there. The switch in the cab looks like a two way at least and possibly a three way switch. An under cab picture of the valve it's self will clear that up. Just count the number of lines. Three = two way and four = three way. They make a four way valve also. But know needs three tanks? Our motor home has the four way but it feeds from the auxiliary tank to a generator if it had one. I am surprised your auxiliary is not behind the rear axle. That's where most were placed and put both filler necks on the driver's side. Of course it displaced the spare tire.

Forgot the rear tank was usually a 38 gal tank.
38 gallon as a secondary tank? that would really add some range. Im guessing both these tanks will probably be in the 20-25 gallon range.

38 gallon tank is the only one I know of that was placed behind the rear axle. I have never seen a factory issue with dual saddles. Starting on 73 or 74 when tanks disappeared from cabs the std. tank has been on the driver's side and the exhaust on the passenger. Also when tanks went under all US sold trucks had to have the fuel tanks inside the frame rails. That was due to a huge lawsuit against GM in 73 after one of their new pickups was broad sided causing the tank outside the frame to explode on impact. Not sure what was done in other countries.
Funny thing is 72 was also the last year for in cab tanks thanks to a smokers error. Ka boom went the gas fumes from a leaking tank.

Back