• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Door Rust on 2006 GMC Sierra Pickup

Tirire

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I was wondering, if you guys in shops have noticed a lot of Chevy/GMC trucks in the 05-07 model years with rust already forming on the seam where the outer door skin is attached to the door. Especially the bottom. I was on a lot today and every one of the 6 trucks I looked at had some...or a lot.
I have my eye on one of the 06's, but this has me bummed a bit.
I was considering buying it, then wire wheeling the areas, epoxy priming and then having the lower 8 inches of the body Line-X'd (or some other brand) and having it wrap around to cover the seam leaving the drain holes open of course. Then have the inside of the door sprayed with fluid film or similar.
Do you think this idea would last a long time......like 5-10 years? I've come to a point where I think I want something newer than what I have to get away from paint/rust issues. Just wondering if I should just steer clear of these trucks or if my "fix" really is a fix. I need to make a decision by tomorrow on this truck so advice is greatly appreciated....fast! LOL!

Sorry I am late to the party. If the rust is just on the surface of the seam on the outside of the door, then the things you suggest will work. If the rust is already inside the seam then it's only a matter of time, fluid film will slow it some, but it will still rust.

Back