• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Dodge Dreamers

Calgarymopar

Reaction score
Trying to find out any information about the 1978-1979 Dodge Dreamer trucks. I have a 1978 Dreamer with regular bed and a 1979 with a car hauler bed. Just haven't been able to find out much about where and how many of these were built. I don't think they made a ton of either and hoping someone here might have information on these. I think they were done in Texas somewhere but that's about all I have found out.

Thanks,

Kevin

Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 6.49.30 PM (2).png
IMG_8833.PNG

That something new. I knew the truck version was out there. The vans till now I new nothing about. I have a 76 W , I have in the planing stage. This helps alot.

Other than that Dodge furnished cabs and chassis only. Most were 440 powered and one ton dually. The trucks were done on a modified streched chassis.

One my van I can do an eight foot bed and a 4 foot compartment with no frame mods.

Thanks for posting the pictures.

My truck version has a cummins diesel in it. The guy I bought it from took all the parts from a low mileage wrecked first gen dodge and put them in the dreamer. (complete drivetrain and rearend, and added a gear vendors overdrive) Still needs work to it and likely be a couple years before I get to it but this is the first one I've seen in person so thinking they are pretty rare. From some sites I found, they say anywhere from 300-500 made but not sure how accurate that is.

My hauler version (with the bed) I bought from a guy who had it in the early 90's, sold it, and then bought it back a few years ago. He bought it from the original owner I believe and was pretty sure it was done in Texas. It has a 440 in it and is more stock than my other one and from what he told me, very few made. There is a tag they found behind the interior panels that has a number "10" on it and he thought that might mean #10 made. Not really sure but would sure love to track someone down who might have been involved in the production of these. The flat deck is around 20 feet or so with pull out ramps built in so very easy to pull vehicles on it. I've only driven it a few hundred miles and plan to paint it eventually and fix a few things here and there and then use it to haul around some of my other dodges.

If any info from me would help you in any way with your project, just let me know. The vehicles are parked at my buddies place for now and will likely stay there until I get time to work on them.

The model number on the door tags is F40 which I think is the same as the RV. My diesel dodge has a second tag on it that says manufactured by Neonex Leisure Products and has a separate ID# and VIN# (assuming to keep track of the dreamer package installed??) My other one has a spot for that second tag and looks like it was once there as well but is missing. The other tag they found behind the interior is different than this and has a distinctive "10" on it?? Not sure what that really means, but it is there.

To 65 Sporty, yeh you sure don't hear much about these. I saw one several years ago and then when I started looking for one a few years ago, I realized how hard they are to actually find if you want to buy one. About a week after I bought the diesel, I found the other one so bought it as well as I'm definitely a dodge truck nut and these fit into my oddball collection.

A quick Google search taught me they were available from 76-79, not sure who made them,or what they used. One person said they were made with a Ford chassis, with double wishbone front end, and the GM dually box. What type of front suspension do yours have? I don't know why they'd mash parts from all the major manufacturers into one vehicle, but who knows? The search continues.

I honestly haven't looked close enough at them to know if there are different parts on them, or even if I will be able to tell the differences?? I basically got them home and they've been parked since. I have a few other projects in front of them that I want to finish but next time I'm out at my buddies acreage where they are, I'll have a better look at them, particularly the front end system. From what I understood, they were a dodge rv chassis with the dodge van front with the back fiberglass body attached so I just assumed dodge front end and chassis but could definitely be wrong. As for the box, it doesn't really look like a typical GM dually box of that era. Kind of looks like a one-off box but again I could be completely wrong. Thanks for the answers so far!! Really appreciate it.

My 76.Sportsman van Class C has an integral frame and body. Floor from front to rear.
I know the dreamer truck was on a Dodge chassis.
If and when I build a van dreamer it will be all Dodge.

The ones I've seen were Dodge chassis as far as I could tell. We thought they were cool as shit. Saw one getting turned in for "Cash for Clunkers", turned my stomach over knowing they didn't make a bunch.

I'm looking to try to get hold of CalgaryMopar about his Dreamers. If anyone can point me towards him, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks very much in advance.

I'm looking to try to get hold of CalgaryMopar about his Dreamers. If anyone can point me towards him, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks very much in advance.
You can try sending him a PM (Conversation) but he hasn't been here in almost a year, so he may not respond promptly.

You can try sending him a PM (Conversation) but he hasn't been here in almost a year, so he may not respond promptly.

Good morning, and my apologies for not getting back to you sooner, but I've been away from Calgary much of the last couple of weeks.
Thanks very much for your input, I'll try the PM route to see if I can scare him out of the woodwork.

Back