• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

difference between 305 and 318

You already answered your self. One is a Chevy and one is in a Dodge and no they do not interchange. Also 13 more cubic inches for the Dodge

Both engines are considered to be small block V8's, but they are completely different engines built by different companies. Both engines are fairly common, so either one should be easy to find. What do you want to use the engine for? What do you want to put it in?

AND the Dodge is a Better engine
I managed a salvage yard for a few years & a 305 Chevy will sell, a 318 on the other hand will sit on the shelf because it will outlive what it is put in.

:laugh: I knew there was a reason why I liked this site ! :laugh:

well in the 305 & 318 deal i was just wondering because me and my friend are at a friendly stand still on whitch engine is better, and i have the 318 in my 91 dak

the LA-318ci Chrysler/MoPar Small Block style V8 engine is a wedge engine, in the LA engine family of 273-318-340-360ci with shaft style rocker valve-train {oil valve-train thru the rocker shafts}, many parts are interchangeable, very dependable, least warrantied engine ever produced, by any automotive mnfgr... the 5.2ltr./318ci Magnum is very similar, has the same bore & stroke, but with individual stud mounted style rockers, a little better flowing cylinder-heads & hydraulic roller camshafts, different type intake manifolds & 10 bolt valve covers, they also oils the valve-train thru the push rod instead of the rocker shafts, like the LA-318ci, the Magnum usually is equipped with a TB EFI too, both are great engines, there's also a 5.9ltr./360ci Magnum too... some parts are interchangeable between the 2 designs either the LA or the Magnum, you would need to do some research, to see all the different parts & changes needed.... The SBC 305ci Chevy/GM engine is the V8 base engine mass produced, very common used for 10+ years, it's in the same family of the common V8's 265-302-305-307-327-350-400ci engines used from 1955- just a few years ago, many parts are interchangeable, GM has now replaced that design by the LX &/or LS designs, it's also a wedge head design GM corporate engines, like the earlier Chevy/GM Small Blocks it has a similar design/size/shape to the LA-318ci & 5.2ltr. Magnum Chrysler/MoPar engines, but they are completely different mnfgr's & nothing will interchange....

The 305 was built specifically as a "Corporate Engine" to power GM's sizable lineup with a common V8. It is also designed as a smog engine (the 307 couldn't cut it) to provide capable motivation for whatever it was installed in. They can be made to run better, but nowhere near the potential of the 318 which is an actual design upgrade of the 273.

The 305 was built specifically as a "Corporate Engine" to power GM's sizable lineup with a common V8. It is also designed as a smog engine (the 307 couldn't cut it) to provide capable motivation for whatever it was installed in. They can be made to run better, but nowhere near the potential of the 318 which is an actual design upgrade of the 273.

yeah the 307 had crap heads

Back