• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Decisions decisions decisions???

Fix or get a different cab

• Fix

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Don’t

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

MoparsOnly

The snozberries taste like snozberries.
Reaction score
Here’s the dilemma do I fix or not to fix! I’ve started to drill the spot welds out but to do this right (which I really want to do)I need input what would you do

IMG_0064.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

IMG_0066.JPG

IF you can source a new roof go for it! Look like it will be asier to swap the cab but could you find one in decent condition?
Another thing is that the roof could be patched but appears that a lot of welding has to be done! depend's on your skill and the welder involved in such work.

How good are you at welding? I suck, as in I've never welded before, so I'd be looking for a different cab. There's been some master surgeons that have taken two cabs and spliced them together, but I think the roof was one piece. Whatever the least painful way is, time or money.

Where is the id tag and how important is the year. 83 and up cabs by federal law require cats. Other than that check with the locals to see what your options are. You don't want to create title and plating issues or simply have the truck taken and scraped some day if you want to sell it.

Thanks I think I’m going with a new cab because I really suck at welding as for title problems I just have to swap vins on dash the cat thing doesn’t fly here in good old SC

Thanks I think I’m going with a new cab because I really suck at welding as for title problems I just have to swap vins on dash the cat thing doesn’t fly here in good old SC
Ever since Jesse the Body Ventura was governor, we haven't had that BS emissions crap, saved the state taxpayers $56M a year. State lost $8M.

I'm going to learn to weld, someday soon I hope.

I'm going to learn to weld, someday soon I hope. Me too. I know a little but, not enough to do anything nice

I can tack with my stick welder to seam panels. Not going to weld panels together with it.
Use to gas weld them though. But no longer have access to the equipment.

Yup I remember using coat hangers to braze up exhaust leaks. Get this shit anyone know a dude Jamie Gault? Well he just quoted me 1200 for just a cab. I found him on marketplace. He tells me that the last few cabs he sold he got 1200 for. They are suppose to be rust free from Georgia. Thats crazy shit. when I can go buy a whole truck with a rust free cab for 700-800. I say drop the meth pipe and get your head out of ur arse.

Yup I remember using coat hangers to braze up exhaust leaks. Get this shit anyone know a dude Jamie Gault? Well he just quoted me 1200 for just a cab. I found him on marketplace. He tells me that the last few cabs he sold he got 1200 for. They are suppose to be rust free from Georgia. Thats crazy shit. when I can go buy a whole truck with a rust free cab for 700-800. I say drop the meth pipe and get your head out of ur arse.
He probably sold them to folks up here in the rust belt. I use to think a box for $500 was steep. A buddy and I went halvsies on a step side for $550. They aren't seen in the wild anymore.

I agree $1200 is high, but I haven't looked for a cab, and hope I never have to. Good luck in the hunt!

UPDATE: Just picked up a whole 84 d150 long bed in perfect shape for 600.00. I'm going to sell the bed probably 200.00

I think so. I'm looking for a deal so I might as well as pass It on when I sell stuff. These trucks are getting harder and harder to find without rust/rot.

If that 84 is in good shape why not transfer the good parts from yours to it and use yours as parts? I'm headed to Georgia in a couple of weeks to get a pair of rust free bedsides for my 85 that I bought from feebay

I wish I could find any 70s/80S D/W around here, the ones that rust didn't take, cash for clunkers did. One thing I hate about living by Chicago

OK so how do you go about removing a cab? I don't have a gantry crane or lift. I do have an engine hoist and yes the cab is completely empty. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

An engine hoist will not lift it high enough. That and even a stripped cab is nose heavy. Find three strong buddies and pick it up. Set it on saw horses with 2x6's across the frame.

I was thinking (problem) What If I used the boom on the inside of the cab and pushed It up? Maybe use some boards between the roof and arm? As for p/u with some friends I'm old and so are all my buddies. I might have been able to do that 15-20 years ago. The cab being removed is junk so It doesn't really matter. Hopefully by the time I'm ready for the new cab I have some extra cash and can get a friend with a tractor that has forks to install the new one.

Back