• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Deadhead fuel pressure regulator

K20-Bowtie

Reaction score
I need some guidance. I have a 72 K-20 with a 350 small block, 1406 Edelbrock carburetor and the stock mechanical fuel pump. The engine is running a little rough at idle and the exhaust smells rich. I tested the fuel pressure and it bounces from 8-9 psi (seems high for a mechanical fuel pump).

I searched around for guidance on a deadhead fuel pressure regulator and there seems to be conflicting information. Some say a deadhead pressure regulator will damage the mechanical fuel pump.

What’s the best option for a regulator or should I go in a different direction?

Are the carb float bowls flooding over? If they are not then the needle and seat can handle the pressure. Are you sure the gauge is correct? 8-9 psi does seem high for a mechanical pump

Not sure how to check if the carb float bowls are flooding over. I just installed a regulator yesterday and it helped, but I had to lean out the jets on the carb almost to a shut position.

I notice a slight, intermittent misfire. The truck has dual exhausts, so I observed the tailpipes and the misfire is observed from both pipes. Just replaced the plugs and wires last week. With the intermittent misfire, it appears I have an electrical issue. Any thoughts?

How big of a cam are you running? Stock or bigger? The 1406 is usually on the lean side of things. The bowl vents are on the sides of the carb by the access for the metering rods. If it was flooding over it would be coming out there. Is this a new or used carb?
If you just changed plugs and wires there is not much else for secondary side to cause a misfire except the cap and rotor. What distributor? HEI? Lean fuel at idle can cause misfire.

I installed a pressure regulator. The fuel is not boiling over. It is a used carb and looks dirty. Perhaps I should remove, disassemble and clean?

In terms of the cam, not really sure - I purchased the truck about 2 months ago. My guess is that its stock.

I have a DELCO HEI.

Thanks!

20200726_215742778_iOS.jpg

20200726_215744585_iOS.jpg

20200726_215746282_iOS.jpg

I wonder what jets and metering rods are in the carb? If the previous owner maybe changed them out and richened it up too much. I think Edelbrock has a chart as to what jets are stock for the 1406 and how to tune it with different jets and rods.

Back