• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Damp floorboard on passenger side

j-miller

Reaction score
Yesterday I was messing with my '95 Ram and wanted to see why my one mobile radio up and quit. It worked in the house but not in the truck. I checked the one fuse and connectivity at the plug and it shows voltage. This had me baffled for a few weekends. I have this radio hooked directly to the battery and the main wires run in under the carpet on passenger side.
Well I lifted the carpet and seen it was very damp under the carpet plus another inline fuse had corrosion and broke off enough to show voltage but not enough to run my radio.
I got my radio problem solved but I want to know after all these years it was never damp over there under the carpet(I check from time to time)and now it is? The only thing I can think of is this past year my windsheild finally cracked the whole way down to the bottom and the rain is running down the crack and inside running down to the floorboard under the carpet.
Is my cracked windsheild the problem? Any other idea's?

John

Last edited:
Sounds like you nailed the problem...only other thing I would check if it has A/C was to make sure it doesn't leak from the drain pan

Yeah it's got A/C and will check that here sometime. The heater core also came to mind but that usually fogs up the windshield and would smell antifreeze. The crack in the windshield goes to the bottom corner and that's what I'm thinking.

the vents would only steam when you have the heater on in my experience. If the truck doesnt over heat, then i would stick with teh windshield theory

Windshield most likley but mine had the carpets on the pass side, wet so i gutted the interior [needed a good cleanin anyway] i found the ac box was leaking around where it seals to the firewall. The evapoator water draining out would run back across the bottom of the box and right in the bad sealant. Sealed it up and fabbed a drain hose to the drain and no more damp carpet.

I went outside a looked at windshield and ran my thumbnail over it and yeah it's a nice deep crack. I guess it's time for another windshield and hope this solved my problem.

You could always lay in the floor with the carpet pulled back while someone used the water hose on the windshield. Don't use pressure just let it run down on it. If it's leaking you will see the water coming in.

I have the same prob, but on the driver side! Some good tips here

The windshield has laminate between the two pieces of glass. If it was installed correctly it shouldn't be leaking. The water shouldn't seep through the laminate unless it has been punctured in which the laminate is some tough stuff. I bet it started to leak because the urethane has come loose. If you have comprehensive on the truck the insurance company pay for the windshield replacement. You need a new one anyways. lol

I have the same problem with my 98. It nees a new windshield anyway so I will be replacing it when I am home for good. But I did find water on my firewall on the inside yesterday, we have had a lot of rain in the last week. I just keep a big towel on the floor and it soaks up the water pretty good. I just change it frequently and it seems to keep the floor drier.

Do you hear water sloshing around in the heater? I bet your AC drain tube is plugged. Go out under the hood and when you find the rubber tube run a welding rod up in to free it. I bet some water will run out. I bet that is your problem and not the windshield.

Back