• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Dakota conversion for a 57 D100

72*birdman

Reaction score
I've read that Dakota's are the best chassie upgrade for my 57 D100 and I've found one locally that I can pickup for a good price because it has a bad motor. My question is since its a V6 automatic truck is this going to be an issue, because I am going to want to go with my LA V8 small block drivetrain. Are the front ends different on V6 verses V8 Dakotas?

Its a 96 2 wheel drive extended cab with the v6 and auto as i mentioned earlier. My 57 is a long bed as well.

They do use different mounts. The v6 mounts look like they bolt flat, bolts pointing down to the frame. The v8 mounts look similar to a spool style mount on the frame side, and similar to the LA style to the engine. Hope that half answer helps some.

I thought the V 6's used the spool style mounts like on the mag motors ?

I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, was standing 2 feet away from the catalog. Schumacher Creative Services has conversion mounts available. Not cheap, $395 + 40 for shipping. Your LA will drop right in. I have their mounts for my Dart and just got a shim pack for my Polara. Great products and great service.

Here's a pic from their website for your mounts:

DAKLA Large.jpg

DAKLA Large.jpg

OK hopefully that will take care of the engine, now for the tranny. What is in the 96 a 4 speed auto? Here again I want to be able to use the pushbutton 727 I have set up for the 57 because its an original auto truck and the shifter is in good shape. I suppose on it I will just have to get the engine set in place. Then see what needs done to make the 727 transmission mount workable. Anybody have experience with the 2 mounts know if they are similar or how big a job this will be.

I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, was standing 2 feet away from the catalog. Schumacher Creative Services has conversion mounts available. Not cheap, $395 + 40 for shipping. Your LA will drop right in. I have their mounts for my Dart and just got a shim pack for my Polara. Great products and great service.

Here's a pic from their website for your mounts:

View attachment 3803

Call it being a tight wad or just to old school i just do not see $400 worth of value here. Or just to many engine swaps with home fabricated mount. But if you do not have fabricating capabilities or the equipment this could be a bargain.

Call it being a tight wad or just to old school i just do not see $400 worth of value here. Or just to many engine swaps with home fabricated mount. But if you do not have fabricating capabilities or the equipment this could be a bargain.

I agree with the cost factor. It's $200 for my Dart and it beats paying way too much for a beat up K frame for a v8.

I wonder if the frames are th same and the mounts are the only difference. Maybe go out I a local junkyard and pirate mounts off a wrecked v8 Dakota

I don't have any fab skills or a welder (hence the no fab skills) so if I was doing this I'd probably go that route. Just trying to offer some options, but yeah, not the cheapest.

Back