• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

d150 lowering suggestions?

joshuadmire

Reaction score
I have an 83 d150 2wd shortbed I'm looking to lower. I really don't want to go floor scraping low but low enough to make a statement. Basically i don't want to cut up the bed or fender wells just to drop it. Also want to get rid of the roll. When turning it's a nightmare! Lol. What kind of suspension recommendations are out there?

They really don't make any aftermarket kit's for these trucks . There are tricks you can do like cutting the springs , swapping to a van front spindle as well as a couple of other things . There's a guy on here that knows a lot more then I do about dropping these truck's and maybe he can help you out better then I can . "RCAddict" you want to chime in on this one ? It's right up ( or should I say down ? lol ) your alley !

So like drop spindles? What about shorter springs and shocks? I'm under the impression that when you cut springs you in turn mess with the spring rebound rate and they don't work properly and end up causing more damage in the long run to your ball joints and tie rod ends? I have seen for the rear springpack relocation kits that move the springpacks to below the rear axle instead of on top of the axle like stock resulting in a 3 or 4 inch drop? Just some things i have seen or wonderd about.

Sorry for the confusion "joshuadire" , that's my fault . I was just trying to tell you what people have done to lower there truck not what I'd recommend . "No" I don't condone cutting springs . With my Warlock , I'm planning on installing new front springs and to get the ride height that I want , I'm going to use the front spindles out of a Dodge van . Like Chuckie said that will give you about a 2 to 2 1/2" drop in the front . From what I understand you can also swap out a lower control arm's out of a 3/4 ton truck to get it even lower . The spring pocket is lower or deeper then a 1/2 ton .

3/4 ton truck a arms are the same height he has now. I found out the hard way. Van LA ' are about the only good way to drop the fron without getting custom springs

Thanks! Any other issues i should expect when doing the swap? Extra parts etc? Or is it jus simply replacing lower a arms from a van?

I've been a lurker on this one because lowering my converted 57 sounded interesting but I have questions too. Does "Van LA" mean a small block van or something else? Also I have a 85 van I use for storage which was a small block but its a 3/4 ton does that change the lower a arms or would they work?

Control arms are the same regardless of engine.

As for extra parts
You may as well repack front end parts while your in there.

"DodgeAddict" definitely knows a lot on this subject and he'll take good care of you "Joshuadmire" . :thumb:

I may take ya up on that once I get the parts! Could always use a hand. Im off 23rd and sterling! Should message me your details! Thanx

My 81. Van lowers. Rear flipped.

image.jpg

Back