• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Crank Pulley - Harmonic Balancer

rdhaug

Reaction score
Guys,
I have a '62 D100 with a Poly 318. I'm looking to add an air conditioner and need to swap out the crank pulley to a two groove pulley from a single groove. The stock crank pulley on the early truck engines in not a harmonic balancer style, see attached pictures. My question is, can I use a a later style harmonic balancer that have two-grooves and not damage the engine?
- John
Poly 318 Pulley.jpg

Poly 318 Pulley.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a good question. Is it internally balanced or externally balanced? I am sorry I don't know squat about a 318 poly.

I assume the engine is internally balanced, since the stock pulley is not a balancer style. I'm wondering what effect a balancer will have on the engine and will it cause any long term damage. Hope to get more feed back from the group.
- John

I know very little about the poly 318, also. Sometimes folks would remove the harmonic balancer for racing. You could have a modified
one. Try www.allpar.com and maybe the Polyspherical Engine Association on the web.

No...that's a stock deal.....So is this person still around and what did you end up doing. I've kept one of those pulleys around for ever and just the other day I bought a timing tab from a member on forabodiesonly. I have a 66 Poly 318 that had a damper on it if you still need one....I realize this is old.....but....LOL

Back