• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Converter recomendation

Gremlinsteve

Reaction score
I’m considering tossing a Hughes performance torque converter into my truck

I only think I need a 2400-2500 stall tops
This should compliment my 23/236 110 lsa cam and 355 gear

Opinions?

I am also looking into a converter for my truck. My cam is a 224/230 @50 110, but I am running 4:10's out back. I am interested to hear how you go with choosing your TC.

Everywhere Ive looked give you all the variables to consider when choosing a converter, but none of them explain how they affect the converter directly. Hard to find any advice other than "make sure the converter has a stall speed 500rpm higher than your start of your cam's power range". I was looking at something very close to what you have purchased, my cam starts making power at around 1800rpm. Will be a good comparison.

Some of the better converter companies will build you a custom one that fit your needs. They factor in HP, tranny, cam and rear end gearing. I had a 72' Dodge B300 Van, that I installed a 70' 340 and kept the stock converter and it worked Great. Had it for over 30 years.

Here is what I did for the 66 satellite. I called ATI Racing. They will send you a sheet of paper ( or can got to site and fill a questionaire out on line). they will build you one, They wiil know what to do about stall speed, convertor Dia. ETC.

I decided upon a 2400 Hughes. I need to install it now. I think I’ll wait till the gearvendor unit arrives
I am also doing a little math to work out rpm for highway cruising once my GV unit goes on. Im running 35's at the moment, and 70mph puts me right at 3000rpm. Gearvendors has a reduction of ,78, so that slots me in at around 2400rpm, maybe in the touch and go zone for the cam Ive chosen.

Looks like Ill either have to go down a size in tire to get out of the converter slippage zone, spring for a slightly milder cam, or just drive faster.

I agree. Mine is a 230/236 at .050 camshaft
I also cruise around 60 mph which is about 2600

If I roll up to 70 I’m looking at 3k rpm also. The converter I currently have is a stock piece. I chose the 2400 stall based on the same factors your looking at. While not perfect for the cam I have in this motor
It is for sure going to be better than what I currently run converter wise

hey guys, Im a car and truck vloger, car and truck enthusiast, planning next week make some content, can you share with me what kind of truck do you have?

1980 model d100
Regular cab short bed
Running a 383 magnum and 727 combo
With a 8.75 rear w/3.55 gears.

Attachments

• 3B74DC2A-B675-444F-9ED9-AA636B7D6DC0.jpeg
    3B74DC2A-B675-444F-9ED9-AA636B7D6DC0.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 93
I agree. Mine is a 230/236 at .050 camshaft
I also cruise around 60 mph which is about 2600

If I roll up to 70 I’m looking at 3k rpm also. The converter I currently have is a stock piece. I chose the 2400 stall based on the same factors your looking at. While not perfect for the cam I have in this motor
It is for sure going to be better than what I currently run converter wise
pretty close match. Im not sure what converter Ive got at the moment, maybe it will already be magic with the new cam! but probably not.

Back