• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Column or floor shift?

LocuMob

Fluid Technician
Reaction score
14938518622261322807531.jpg
I've got all these parts laying around and I'm trying to decide if I should go with a B&M Megashifter or keep the column shift. I'm going to get an '89 tilt column and I could modify the cover where the stalk goes. @bear don't you run a floor shifter? Give me your thoughts.

Last edited:
Thats a short shifter for a bench seat truck. Buckets with the shifter on a riser maybe.

Was just thinking that short shifter on the floor will take some long arms to reach over a little red seat centet. To put it in front of the seat at the level of the seat will eliminate some leg room if that matters.

Was just thinking that short shifter on the floor will take some long arms to reach over a little red seat centet. To put it in front of the seat at the level of the seat will eliminate some leg room if that matters.
That is a drawback, but I doubt I'll have many people riding with me.

View attachment 8700 I've got all these parts laying around and I'm trying to decide if I should go with a B&M Megashifter or keep the column shift. I'm going to get an '89 tilt column and I could modify the cover where the stalk goes. @bear don't you run a floor shifter? Give me your thoughts.
Yeah , Personally I like it on the floor myself Mob . I run the light truck mega in mine . It sit's taller then the regular mega like you have pictured . .... Wow , I just realized I don't have any current pictures of my interior . I'm surprised I haven't taken any since I've put the new rug in as well as a few other things . I'll have to get some fresh one's when I put in the new seats I just did over . But here's an older shot , to give you an idea of were my shifter sit's .
IMG_4399.JPG

At least the clutch pedal doesn't look out of place. How tall is the base on that Bear?

At least the clutch pedal doesn't look out of place. How tall is the base on that Bear?
I left the clutch set up in it for a couple of reasons . #1 I've been toying with the idea of running an ole school Clutch-flight . #2 Just in case I go back to stick , I'm half way there . lol #3 I like it ! lol #4 It mess's with a lot of people when they look in my truck ! lol .... The base alone is a good 4" taller then a normal mega base , plus the handle is a little taller then a regular mega shifter . Where it sits , it's just in my reach to go thru the gears and chirp my Sportsman's . :)

I left the clutch set up in it for a couple of reasons . #1 I've been toying with the idea of running an ole school Clutch-flight . #2 Just in case I go back to stick , I'm half way there . lol #3 I like it ! lol #4 It mess's with a lot of people when they look in my truck ! lol .... The base alone is a good 4" taller then a normal mega base , plus the handle is a little taller then a regular mega shifter . Where it sits , it's just in my reach to go thru the gears and chirp my Sportsman's . :)
I have been in that situation before. The clutch pedal really does confuse people.
Is the clutchflite kit still available some where? Have the instructions and most of the mods are doable. The input shaft and pump drive would be the big item.
I still have the pedals for the 82, but if going back to a manual it would be truck toploader with od.

I have been in that situation before. The clutch pedal really does confuse people.
Is the clutchflite kit still available some where? Have the instructions and most of the mods are doable. The input shaft and pump drive would be the big item.
I still have the pedals for the 82, but if going back to a manual it would be truck toploader with od.
I haven't done a Clutch-flight in years . The last one I did was a 71 Challenger . I was thinking that might be just the ticket for my 1/4 mile blast . I haven't started collecting the parts yet so I don't know what's around or for how much . If I go back to a stick it'll be an A-833 4 speed again or maybe even a 5 speed , so that I can have that over drive gear . For now I'm just enjoying the 727 I built , that shifts so firm that it'll chirp any tire I have on it at the time . No-matter how big or sticky it is . :cool:

Back