• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Cassette Radio Conversion

87dodgeram

Reaction score
I'd like to swap the stock AM/FM radio in my 87 out for an OEM radio with a tape deck. I recently came across a cassette radio out of a '99 Plymouth Voyager that I am told will fit my truck (Part # 4311687).

I'm wondering if anyone has done this swap before / is it even possible? I'm having some difficulty finding what radios even fit in these trucks or if there are any differences in the wiring and hardware used.

Any information about what can and can't be done here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

One of the members on FCBO has done this, swapped later Chrysler radios in to earlier Chrysler products. They were all the same mounting and wire connectors for a number of years. I put a later model radio into a customers 86 B250, I don't remember what year I got but I believe it was from the 90's

Look at these 2 radio's below, they have the same mounting and connectors.

89-90 Dodge Infinity AM FM Radio Stereo Cassette Push Button OEM | eBay

85-00 DODGE CHRYSLER JEEP WRANGLER TRUCK OEM Stereo CD Player | eBay

Look on Car-part.com for used radios near you

They were all the same mounting and wire connectors for a number of years. I put a later model radio into a customers 86 B250, I don't remember what year I got but I believe it was from the 90's
Interesting. Here's the radio that I was looking at.

Chrysler Am FM Stereo Cassette Radio 4311687 Quartz Lock Dodge Jeep Plymouth OEM

I believe I saw this model of radio in a truck the same age as mine at some point recently. But I can't remember for sure.

Thanks for mentioning Car-Part. I'll have to look and see if there is anything available on there.

Hello everyone,

I know this is a very old thread but I figured that I'd update it now that I finally had the time to finish this project.

Attached are a few photos of the radio I ended up swapping in. It came out of a '92 LeBaron. Part # is 4469314.

There seems to be 2 versions of this style of radio. Both versions have the typical rectangular black and gray connectors on the back. One version has an additional round connector and an additional square connector. The other version (that I ended up with) only has the extra square connector. I don't believe these trucks have anything to connect into these extra connectors (or even what they were for originally to be completely honest). Either way, mine seems to work fine without the extra connectors hooked up.
In my opinion, this radio looks quite a bit cleaner than the original. It sounds a little better too. But obviously still not great by modern standards.

If anyone else wants to do a swap like this - it seems like most radios from 1981 thru 2002 will fit these trucks. The swap itself is super easy. It didn't take me more than 15 minutes. That being said, if you want good audio quality, you would probably be better off replacing the radio with an aftermarket unit. I just prefer the look of the old Chrysler unit over a new aftermarket radio.

IMG_5983.jpg
IMG_5978.JPG

You could have gone clear into the 90's flat faced car radio and would have sit right in there. Even Dakota radio's flat faced will fit right in so why stop with just cassette when they had both cassette and CD.

Back