• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Carb engine in an Injected truck

Mopardude

Reaction score
I think I have mentioned this before but I been looking for a pre 94 truck for a long time now. I have this built 360 that i took out of another car i had and its going into my 42, but that truck won't be road ready for a long time. I would like to get another truck to put this engine in and have something for fun until the 42 gets done. On the rare occasion I can find anything pre 94 around here its either been worked to death or they just want to dam much money for what they got. The weird thing is you can find plenty of 2nd gen Rams in nicer condition and for less money or even a 2nd-3rd gen Dakota.

So my question is how badly would you have to modify the wiring to run a LA engine in a second gen Ram or Dakota? How is the fuel pumped in those years will I have fuel pressure issues?

Anyone have experience doing this good or bad?

Also emissions are not an issue.

The intake on pre magnum motors are bolt on as they too were la motors. My 90 for example has tbi. Unless your talking about dropping it in a 94-01 which is also possible. At that point you can have the intake from that truck red rolled for the la motor and no wires be modified at all

Hope I answered your question the way you wanted. It's 4am and I'm trying to make myself sleepy to match the tired I already am!

Last edited:
The fuel pressure will be an issue to . The injected truck's have the pump in the fuel tank and has more pressure for the injection . If you use the factory pump then you need to run a return line and a regulator . Or you can modify the sending unit ( in tank pump ) to act like a normal sending unit "pick up" and run whatever you want for a fuel delivery set up . It's been done both way's .

I have a built up engine I don't want to dick around swapping intakes and heads to make it happen. Plus I don't think I can go back to running a stock setup like that because of its compression ratio. The engine I have has a stage 2 FBO distributor and ignition box, which is the same wiring configuration as a orange box or stock module. Would it be pretty simple to to wire this up without completely hacking up the wiring?

2nd Gen has different motor mounts that won't bolt to an LA A Magnum block has both types

SAM_3656.jpg

I have a built up engine I don't want to dick around swapping intakes and heads to make it happen. Plus I don't think I can go back to running a stock setup like that because of its compression ratio. The engine I have has a stage 2 FBO distributor and ignition box, which is the same wiring configuration as a orange box or stock module. Would it be pretty simple to to wire this up without completely hacking up the wiring?

Yes. It's quite simple

Back