• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Can someone PLEASE HELP ME?!

greg1987

Reaction score
I have a 1984 dodge with a rebuilt 360 it has been bored.30 over and has forged internals, such as speedpro pistons, clevite bearings, and a .280 duration pro comp cam. I have a 650 Edelbrock carburetor and I can't seem to get the air to fuel right. I am wondering if the 650 is enough carb for that engine. I figure it would be but sometimes it makes me wonder. I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong but it always seems to run rich. Can anyone help me out here. I listed whats been done to the motor to see if anyone thinks that might make a difference? I'm thinking about yanking the new one I have on my 87 firebird off and putting it on my dodge. I just want to know if the 650 carb is enough for that engine and if I may have to adjust it. Its still set to factory specs, whatever that may be. Thanks for reading. Hopefully you can be the one to help me out. I love my truck I just hate issues like this.

That's more then enough carb and if you think about it , you said it was running rich . That means eather to much fuel or the fuel is'nt getting burnt enough and it's going out the exhaust . Which if that's the case then look at how hot your spark is . But first try adjusting the air fuel mixture before you do anything . I've taken brand new carbs out of the box and the factory setting's have been way off more then once . If you have'nt done this before then turn both screws all the way in untill they stop ( "Don't" crank them down but turn them till they stop ) , then turn both of them 1 1/2 turn's out . That's your base setting and sometime's thats were you need to be but if not then with the engine running turn them in untill the engine just starts to idle a little off and then turn them out about a 1/4 of a turn . Do that with both screws . Hope this help's .

Loosen your carb & wiggle it around & see if your secondary butterflies are hanging up on the intake or the gasket The top butterfly being closed acts like a choke & it will suck a bunch of fuel & run rich

What plugs would you suggest running, right now I just have cheap ngk plugs. I don't know what would be best. I thought about boush platinum 4s. I just didn't know if someone might know of some better plugs.

In a Mopar ? I only use Champion's . I know there might be a few people that are gunna argue with me on this but back in my raceing day's they allway's came out on top with me on performance and dependability . But that's just my two cents .

i myself run denso plugs in my drag car and have run the same set now for 4 yrs. having no issues.
but champion is running a strong 2nd in choice.

I have to agree w/Bear on all those subjects. Being a Mopar guy for over 35 years and knowing many mechanics, the consensus is that our motors run the best w/Champion plugs. Even the newer motors. Also..the 650 is plenty of carb for that small block and the mods you have. I put an 850 on my LRT once and it did "Okay" at best. Put the eddie 650 back on and the sound at idol was back to awsome and throttle response returned....no 2 second hesitation & flat spot. So many things you haven't mentioned yet: Spark plug gap, wire condition, rotor & cap age, E.C.U. box? Changed out a new "orange" box from my son's 440 ramcharger to a cheap autozone basic replacement and the truck woke up. Sometimes those go bad, don't understand why.

If running rich maybe the needle and seat in the carby is faulty or the float level is too high, I used to always swear by champions but due to several sets coming back on me I switched to NGK and have never looked back.

I have to agree w/Bear on all those subjects. Being a Mopar guy for over 35 years and knowing many mechanics, the consensus is that our motors run the best w/Champion plugs. Even the newer motors. Also..the 650 is plenty of carb for that small block and the mods you have. I put an 850 on my LRT once and it did "Okay" at best. Put the eddie 650 back on and the sound at idol was back to awsome and throttle response returned....no 2 second hesitation & flat spot. So many things you haven't mentioned yet: Spark plug gap, wire condition, rotor & cap age, E.C.U. box? Changed out a new "orange" box from my son's 440 ramcharger to a cheap autozone basic replacement and the truck woke up. Sometimes those go bad, don't understand why.
Being a 40+year Mopar guy I have to agree with all stated above I use Champions in all of mine. I have a set of Autolites that I use when I paint my engines

Check to make sure the floats are set right. I have never owned a new edlebroke where they were ever set right from the factory. Kinda seems to me they purposely set them to be rich but that is just my opinion of them.

I have run both Champions and NGK in mopars with out issues. For performance builds I tend to lean more towards NGk because the heat range is better on those plugs but truethfully I don't think that makes a whole lot of difference performance wise least not from my experience.

I have run both Champions and NGK in mopars with out issues. For performance builds I tend to lean more towards NGk because the heat range is better on those plugs but truethfully I don't think that makes a whole lot of difference performance wise least not from my experience.

Not NGK I meant Bousch Plats I dunno why I said NGK.

Champions are made for mopar and lawn mower...............
AC's are made for GM
Autolites are for Fords............................thats just the way it is
NGK,s are made for uno

Last edited:
I tuned a little 2.2 dodge with Bosch Plats the guy came back raising hell.....no power...........swapped in Champions ran great last time i used anything but champions in a mopar

Back