• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

can I convert my truck to 5.5 bolt pattern

moparmorrell

Reaction score
All right everyone here's my question I have a 68 dodge d100 2wd with a 8 3/4 rear end with 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern, I was wondering if anyone knows how I can convert my front end from the 4.5 to the 5.5? Can I use spindles off like a 70's truck with some modifications or what? Please help, thank you.

if you wanted a 7 1/4 rear end from the /6 darts dunno why you would as with any jerk from a small block would rip the spider gears right out of it

A 7 1/4 from a dart would either have a 4 or 4.5 bolt pattern depending on the year it came from.

why not find 4.5 bolt pattern axles or have your axles redrilled? theres litterally 1000's of choices when it comes to wheels for a 5x4.5 bolt pattern

I'm with 79dodge4ever, I think the easiest thing for you to do would be to find 74(they switched to the 9 1/4 in 75) or older 2 wheel drive dodge truck or van that has an 8 3/4 rear end and get the axles. All the 8 3/4 truck axles are approximately the same length. And as far as know from all the information I've read and researched, only the 1/2 ton 4x4's had the 5x5.5" bolt pattern up till 1974 with drum brakes. In 75 they changed to 9 1/4 rear end, full time front axles and the 4.5" bolt pattern with disk brakes. But this is just what I've found from researching it for my own truck. I can't and won't guarantee the validity or accuracy of this information cause we all know dodge did some odd ball things with their vehicles through out the all the years and different models.

Yeah I think my best bet is to switch the rear axles to the 4.5 the only reason I wanted to switch to the 5.5 is cause I really wanted to put rims from the newer rams on my truck (i had a vision, lol) but thanks for all the help still open to any ideas if anyone has a way to change the front

Another option that might yield some results is, 2005-2009 2wd Dakota's had 5x5.5 bolt pattern, and also the 1999-2003 Ram 1500's had that bolt pattern. Though I have no Idea if any of the brake or suspension components are interchangeable or can be adapted to work on a 1965 D100 or not...I mostly only dealt with 4x4's. But you could at least look into it.

Another option that might yield some results is, 2005-2009 2wd Dakota's had 5x5.5 bolt pattern, and also the 1999-2003 Ram 1500's had that bolt pattern. Though I have no Idea if any of the brake or suspension components are interchangeable or can be adapted to work on a 1965 D100 or not...I mostly only dealt with 4x4's. But you could at least look into it.
Good idea I'm going to check into that maybe I'll get wild and crazy and customize the whole front end with a newer (99-03) front end, our just put the truck on a different frame, but back to all seriousness I'm going to check into those newer ram and dakotas and see if there is anything I can do thanks for the tip

Good idea I'm going to check into that maybe I'll get wild and crazy and customize the whole front end with a newer (99-03) front end, our just put the truck on a different frame, but back to all seriousness I'm going to check into those newer ram and dakotas and see if there is anything I can do thanks for the tip

don't do suspension swaps from a newer dodge ram, there noted for ball joints and other components wearing out prematurely

don't do suspension swaps from a newer dodge ram, there noted for ball joints and other components wearing out prematurely
Yeah I've heard that before, even though I would like to upgrade the suspension to something newer I kind of like the old straight axle. Keeping it old school!!!

Yeah I've heard that before, even though I would like to upgrade the suspension to something newer I kind of like the old straight axle. Keeping it old school!!!

The Front axle housing from a Ram would be way to wide for a Dakota anyways. I believe the preferred axle for such a swap comes from Toyota but I am not positive about that. I have only read a few threads on the subject on other Dodge forums, one that you might want to check out is www.DakotaUSA.com and do a search there on SAS swap.

definitly swap from 5x5.5. you can get the parts from almost any mid 70's dodge truck out there, and you can still find them with the 8.75 rear axle

So I figured out how I'm going to do it I'm going to buy a 4.5 to 5.5 wheel adapters and get some wheel spacers for the back, the reason I want to do this is because I really want to put the dodge rims off the newer dodge trucks on (pictured below) its my vision, mopar parts all the way

aly2167c_lg.jpg

Not to hi-jack the thread but wondering if the newer 5 on 5.5 Dakota/Ram wheels would work on my 87 D100 with the 5 on 5.5?

Just to be sure you'll want to check the center hole diameter of the wheels.
There may be a difference between the Dakota 2wd and 4wd wheels. I know the newer Dakota 4x4 wheels will fit the older(74 down) W100's. But I can't say with 100% certainty about the 2wd Dakota wheels.

Not to hi-jack the thread but wondering if the newer 5 on 5.5 Dakota/Ram wheels would work on my 87 D100 with the 5 on 5.5?

Back