• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Cab supports

bikinkawboy

Reaction score
Both rear cab supports on my D150 were shot as you can see in the first photo. Rather than spend $55 each for OEM replacements, I took heavy gauge galvanized sheet metal and made my own. Rather than remove and totally replace the old ones, which were gone at the bottom but still solid at the top, I folded the metal to slip over the old ones and bolted them in place through the floor on top, the rocker on the bottom and heavy pop rivets on the sides.

Well that didn't work so hot, I guess I'll try again to attach the photos. DSC_1418_010.JPGDSC_1417_009.jpg

DSC_1418_010.JPG

DSC_1417_009.jpg

I like this idea and I bet it saved alot of time/money! While my rockers are shot I think I'll use your method here to re-extend the supports to the rockers. thanks!

Afterwards I used some of that expanding foam insulation to fill in any cracks or spaces around the supports to keep water out. Right off the top of my head I can't remember the brand of foam, but I got it at Ace Hardware and I think it's in a red can. To test it's performance when wet, I took a dried piece, weighted it down in a glass of water and let it set several days. It didn't soak up a drop, so I don't believe water absorption and new rusting will ever be a problem.

Back