• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Bunch of Random Truck/Dakota questions.

No problem, I like to pass on what Ive learned.

I dont know the exact difference. Just remember, after you get the custom axles that are about 300 you'll need to get all the big bolt pattern brakes and hardware. You may be better off starting with an e body axle. Just my .02.

Your right about some pickups hooking up but in my experience any short bed pickup that ever hooked had a link rear suspension that was very adjustable. Those suspensions can distribute the power very far forward in the chassis. I know my sb reg cab Dak with a 3.9 on N2O could break 60 series tires loose hitting 3rd gear. I think the weight distribution on a Dak is like 70 front 30 rear and thats a V6.

I stand corrected about the trans. I see that they did come through with the 3500. Ive only ever seen the 15. Pretty sure the RT never came with the 3500 tough, far as I know the 360 only came with an auto during the Dak RT production run.

Yea that is a good point I didn't consider about the brakes. If I found a complete unit than its pretty much install and go and could fund it by selling the pieces I have as well.

I was just guessing the 3500 came in the RT's. As rare as they seem to be it sounded like a logical therory. Another thought I had is maybe they are only in 97 and later trucks as there isn't many of these trucks in bone yards yet. Plus I am one that always is watching out for a good deals in either Rams or Dakotas and it seems to me that manual trans missions were more prevaliant in the pre 97 models and harder to find in the 97 or later. Not sure how accurate I am in that assessment but as far as vehicles for sale in my area that seems to be how it is.

I have a bunch of questions I need to start thinking about for my 42 Dodge pickup project. Looking for some insight or thoughts from others or maybe where I can go to find the answers I need. For this project I will be putting this 42 body onto the frame of a 94 Dakota.

My main concern when I do this swap is I have a title for the 42 but not the Dakota. The 42 vin # is on the frame and the Dakota is in the dash, Is this going to cause me problems later, insurance wise or if it ever gets stolen? Can I solve this by making a home made vin plate and welding it to the truck somewhere? ....

I can answer this question for you because I went through the same process when I did a conversion on an old VW Bug. Since after you do the frame conversion, you will no longer have the VIN from the '42, but you WILL have the new VIN on the frame of the Dakota, you will need to go to the DMV and get a police inspection to check out the frame VIN and body. You will need BOTH titles to the '42 and the Dakota. The police officer will then create a new VIN on the body of the '42 that he will attach and that will allow you to keep it registered as a '42. However, there may be smog laws associated with the newer motor and chassis such that you might be required to meet the original Dakota smog requirements, but this really depends on the state that you live in.

So, I would stop where you are until you get ahold of that Dakota title. Of course, if you and any new owner never leave the state you are in, you can just keep it blindly registered under the '42 title without an actual VIN on the truck to check against. But once the truck leaves the state and gets an inspection, you will have a load of trouble to deal with.

I can answer this question for you because I went through the same process when I did a conversion on an old VW Bug. Since after you do the frame conversion, you will no longer have the VIN from the '42, but you WILL have the new VIN on the frame of the Dakota, you will need to go to the DMV and get a police inspection to check out the frame VIN and body. You will need BOTH titles to the '42 and the Dakota. The police officer will then create a new VIN on the body of the '42 that he will attach and that will allow you to keep it registered as a '42. However, there may be smog laws associated with the newer motor and chassis such that you might be required to meet the original Dakota smog requirements, but this really depends on the state that you live in.

So, I would stop where you are until you get ahold of that Dakota title. Of course, if you and any new owner never leave the state you are in, you can just keep it blindly registered under the '42 title without an actual VIN on the truck to check against. But once the truck leaves the state and gets an inspection, you will have a load of trouble to deal with.

Thanks for the feed back on your experience! Smog control isn't an issue where I live and I plan on plating it with hobbiest plates which here would make me exempt to any such laws should they change in my area. I think the only way of getting the dakota title would be to apply for a lost title.

Back