• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Break In Oil or no break oil???

MoparsOnly

The snozberries taste like snozberries.
Reaction score
OK this ain't my first rodeo. I've built a slew of flat tappet engines and have used rotella this was before all the special oil and additives. This Is my first full on roller build. I have read and watched a bunch and still haven't found a real definitive answer on the use of high zinc oil/additive for the first start up on a roller cam. I know this will probably start a war so lets keep It civil fellas

Where are the tappets in an engine? I know where the lifters are.
Yes, I'm bustin yer chops because the lifters tap nothing. Used to help a friend with dirt late models.
Rotella is good along with a ZDDP additive. After that straight Rotella worked well.
It was fine on 8k rpm Chebbies..until....
As the ZDDP was reduced we switched to Royal Purple. Worked well with methanol fuel. But for break in the Rotella worked well on gas.

I'll put it this way. The MoPar V8s have used rollers since about 86. What oil has been recommended?
Rollers don't need the high zinc. It doesn't hurt, though.

We would put in what you plan to run. In 500 miles change it and the filter out.
Have not used breaking oil in years.
As stated forget the zinc it doesn't need it.

I'll put it this way. The MoPar V8s have used rollers since about 86. What oil has been recommended?
Rollers don't need the high zinc. It doesn't hurt, though.
Agree they do not NEED high zinc, but most engine builders use it for startup, once everything "broken in" first 15-30minutes at 2,000 RPM, then 50-100 miles on the road. I would use what the cam shaft/lifter manufacture recommends .

zddp is an extreme pressure lubricant , the main reason its content has been reduced or removed is it ruins cat. convertors! But engines as I know working at wall work service have other areas that need zddp like the fuel pump actuating rod that rides on the cam on older engines and timing chains any where there is metal to metal contact that has friction!! If your not running a cat. it wont hurt a thing to add zddp for an extra precaution in high friction areas of any engine especially air cooled, and at the valve tip if there is any sliding of the roller rocker or at the push rod ends that make contact with the lifter and rocker arm Etc!!

Back