• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Big Block Swap, trans mount won't line up

JGC403

Reaction score
I am swapping a 383 with a 833OD into my 1985 Ram. I have the correct motor brackets, (I got them from here: http://www.bpeusa.com/BPEtruckKit.asp ). Installed the engine and trans into the truck last weekend. I was waiting on a new transmission mount so the trans was just sitting on a 2x4 on the trans X-member. Went to install the mount today and the holes are about a half inch off between the bracket and the holes in the tailshaft.

So I'm trying to figure out whats going on. Looked up part numbers for the transmission mount and they are all the same part # doesn't matter if its big block or small block, auto or manual. I'm pretty sure that the distance between mounting holes for the transmission mount and where the trans bolts to the back of the block is the same length between autos and manuals with the long tailshafts. So I'm stumped.

If everything else works where it sets mark and drill the mount so that it bolts up. There should be plenty of material in the mount to do it. Any body got a better solution?

Are the motor mount brackets on the right side of the ears on the motor ?

If everything else works where it sets mark and drill the mount so that it bolts up. There should be plenty of material in the mount to do it. Any body got a better solution?

There isn't enough material to do that to the mount, there is only about half and inch of metal between the hole for the bolt and the end of the mount. I'm thinking of just re-drilling the holes in the frame. To move the X-member farther forward.

Are the motor mount brackets on the right side of the ears on the motor ?

Yes they are.

Last edited:
Did you mark left and right when you pulled them from the other truck?Earlies will fit either side but the holes for the mounts are different and as Bear said ears front or back will bolt

Have never had a problem with trans setting to far ahead for mount but have had to pry mount back to bolt trans up. Sounds like something on engine end is not setting right. Moving engine mounts to front side of tabs would move engine back about right amount?

Two questions . Is the transmission to far forward or two far back ? Second question . Do you still have the old mount that came out of the truck ? If you do then match them up and see if there the same or try using that one and see if it fits better . The second question is because I just remembered doing a tranny mount on a mid 80's Dodge truck this summer for someone and the mount that I got was just that little bit different then the one I took out and would not line up . It was a no name brand . I called the parts store I normally deal with and ordered a moog mount and it went in like a charm .

Back