• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Big Block Ram carb to hood clearance?

JGC403

Reaction score
Anyone with a Big Block, can you measure how much space you have between the top of the carb to the bottom of the hood. Also include what intake manifold, carb and whether its a B or RB engine. Thanks.

about that much room

2013-05-22_18-44-28_795.jpg
ok 1984 d150 2 wheel drive 383 b block i got 6 1/2" top of carb to hood insulation there maybe a extra 1/4" hood was setting flat on cowl no front fenders on. 10 1/2" from intake carb mounting to hood. i have a 1" spacer block under carb so you could say 7 1/2" with out spacer from where air cleaner sets on carb. carb is edelbrock 600 cfm.
there will be a $200.00 charge for banging my head on the hood to get this info. or give your local chevy guy a hard time lol.

2013-05-22_18-44-28_795.jpg

No worries "Mopar to ya" . There's plenty of room under there for a single 4 bbl. with a high rise or a "low" duel quad . Now if either one of you were thinking about a tunnel ram ? Then you'd have to think hood scoop . On the tunnel ram , the tops of the carbs would be just hitting the top skin of the hood . ... By the way "Mopar to ya" , Love your avatar ! :thumb:

That's been my avatar for years on all my Mopar Forums. I wish it was my Dart, but it's not. I actually had a signed poster in my hand, but I couldn't justify the $25 for a poster I'll just hang in my garage. This truck will be a big block, and a bored and stroked 440 up to around a 516 if I can afford it. No tunnel ram, probably an RPM air gap because I love them. My Dart is a SB 408 stroker that dyno'd at 498 hp and 548 ft/lbs of torque.

I wouldn't mind having that Dart either ! lol Is the 83 your putting the big block in a two wheel drive or a 4x4 ? I can't quite swing a stroker crank for my 440 yet so I'll have to do what I can with it being punched out with new forged slugs and such . I'd love to do another tunnel ram but I think I'm going to stick with a single four for now . I "might" experiment with a low duel quad later after I've got this motor dialed in . You realize that pretty much all big block intakes are air gap , Right ? Your Dart sounds like it's got a sweet motor in it ! What's in run in the quarter ?

I like the Eddy RPM air gaps. My Ramcharger is 2WD. I probably won't be able to afford to stroke the motor, but it's a wish. My brother is doing a high horsepower 5.7 Hemi and Viper T56 6 speed in his Warlock thinking he can beat my Dart. I don't think so. The only time I had the Dart at the track I had a vibration that robbed my power and I blew the hood scoop off testing my tires before the races. I also found my throttle only opened about 7/8ths of the way. I still made 12.39 at 109 mph. I still have the vibration, but I am faster now. Dart 1.jpgDart motor.jpgDart.jpg

Dart 1.jpg

Dart motor.jpg

Dart.jpg

Yah , I wish I could afford to stroke my 440 too . One of these days though . My truck should be In the mid 12's as she sits now but my goal is to be in the 11's by the end of next season . "VERY" nice Dart sport you have there ! How the "bleep" did you blow your hood scoop off testing your tires ? lol I'd like to see that race with your brother ! You should tell him to join up here and post a few threads on it . I'm sure I'm not the only one that wouldn't mind checking out the build .

I put the drag slicks on and my buddy and I took it to 120 and the studs pulled out. I had to run with a hole in the hood and an ugly velocity stack sticking out. I fixed the scoop myself and had it up to 145 a month or so ago. It stayed attached. I had made a ram air set up and I think the pressure weakened the studs. I took the ram air off and haven't used it since.

You must have had that carb sealed off pretty darn good ! :jaw: I've made up a "few" pie pans for scoops in the past and never had that happen .

Back