• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Best Used Truck(s) to Buy with High Mileage

Reaction score
I am looking at selling my hatchback that I have since I no longer commute to work. I am often borrowing or wanting to use a truck for all of my around the house projects since we've moved. Therefore, I think it will be the most practical to get a used truck that's dependable. I am certainly picky and have a lot of criteria but I'll lay out some of the basics:

1. Be dependable! I am likely to go with one that has high miles, even over 100k since trucks are often built to last
2. Still has some amenities like bluetooth, seat heat, automatic lights, and other tech.
3. Is a crew cab
4. Be relatively inexpensive (10k and under)

I know the above make it a bit challenging but in my research, I've narrowed it down to a few options. Chevy Colorado, GMC Canyon, Chevy Avalanche, and GMC Terrain. I'm perfectly fine with a mid-size truck since I don't need the huge towing capacity and wouldn't mind having a V6 for better MPG on the longer trips. The problem with most trucks is I find the interior and the equipment to often be very basic, especially at this price point. You tend to get a lot more driving comforts in the Chevy Avalanche or the GMC Terrain since one is an SUV and the other one is designed to be like one.

I guess part of what I'm wondering is, how dependable are the trucks I'm considering when you get to 140-150k miles and beyond? Are there others you would recommend more? Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

The Colorado/Canyon are the same truck just Chevy or GMC. The first series with the 3.5/3.7 5 cylinder are great little trucks. The Avalanche is only V8 powered, it's based on the Suburban chassis. The Terrain is available with either a 4cyl or V6, FWD or AWD and would have a lot of the creature comforts you desire.

It all depends on how the previous owner maintained it as far as how dependable it can be. Oil changes are critical to long life on the timing chains in the Terrain. We have a 05 Colorado at work and it's a great little truck

With all the criteria listed, sounds like the Terrain is your best bet. As said before, it just depends on how well ot was kept up by the previous owner, which will determine how good it is.

I recommend making friends with a used car dealer that goes to auctions. You might be able to get a pretty good deal on a ride compared to just buying it straight off the lot.

Thanks for the feedback guys. After further research, I've pretty much nixed the Canyon/Colorado. They just don't have any real equipment on the interior to make it a more enjoyable daily driver. I'm still interested in the Avalanche (although it feels like it might be too much truck for me with it's huge size) and considering the Terrain. I would really like to have a truck bed that I don't have to worry about putting a tarp down, or not scratching the sides of the interior, etc. That said, I'm not completely opposed to the Terrain. I have added the Honda Ridgeline to my list though. I thought they would be out of my price range but when you look at higher mileage (100-150k) trucks they come down considerably in price and are similarly equipped as an Avalanche. Plus I do like the style, the dependability of Hondas in general, and that I'm still getting a truck bed but that the truck itself is a little smaller and runs on a V6 and gets slightly better gas mileage. Any thoughts on the Ridgeline? Thanks!

Oh, and I'm only considering V6 Terrains as the V4 has a ton of issues and is just not worth messing with unless maybe you were getting a really new Terrain, which I can't afford.

I have only worked on 2 Honda Ridgelines, seam like good trucks. My Saturn Vue has Honda driveline and I love it. They used the Honda 3.5 engine and 5 speed trans from 04-07. I have 250,000 on it.

I have 2 Nissan frontiers, the 09 has over 100,000 miles still drives like new, the other is a 2017 frontier pro-x and we bought it new, love these trucks both 4x4 both drive thru alot

I found a one owner 2012 Ridgeline with 170k miles. They're selling it for 5k. He said the only issue he's had with it is he replaced both bumpers and replaced the drive shaft in 2017. Sounds like a pretty great deal for what sounds like a well maintained truck. He bought a new one and doesn't need it. Only downside is I have to drive a few hours for it but might be worth it at that price. He's even willing to do best offer so I might get it down further.

I have a customer with a Ridgeline and she has a lot of miles on it. She did have the dealership replace the engine, but she is well over 200,000 miles. She doesn't bring it in to us, but she brings in her kids Audi's though.

I have a customer with a Ridgeline and she has a lot of miles on it. She did have the dealership replace the engine, but she is well over 200,000 miles. She doesn't bring it in to us, but she brings in her kids Audi's though.
Audi? Do they still cost a lot to repair? My folks had an '87 5000 and got two extended warranties, and they used the living daylights out of them.

Audi? Do they still cost a lot to repair? My folks had an '87 5000 and got two extended warranties, and they used the living daylights out of them.
Some things cost more, the problem is getting certain parts because I don't have a dealer right down the road like GM, Ford or Chrysler.

Some things cost more, the problem is getting certain parts because I don't have a dealer right down the road like GM, Ford or Chrysler.
WorldPac was our import hook up when I was with CarQuest. Of course we know how they ended up.

Back