• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Best Truck for Camper Truck?

Michealbraunstein

Reaction score
“Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.” – Helen Keller All my dream is about travelling and to do adventure getting it to really do take time. After saving all the cents I have I finally decided to hit the road. In the first couple of months, I did travel in my car and stay in the hostels but moving on, I did find some difficulties like unhygienic hostels and expenses are more as well. After some research and some suggestion, I did come up with the idea of the camper truck. As I am new to the thing I am not much aware of the best camper models and stuff. Can you people suggest me a good model and anything between $20,000-$30,000 is affordable? What about the camper tie down which one is better torklift or happijack? Any tips for the newbie should be aware of camper tuck. Please do advice?

A 3/4 ton is better than a 1/2 ton, a dually I think would be overkill. I think it comes down to your brand preference. I like the Chevy/GMC with the 6.0 and the Dodge/Ram with the Hemi. Diesel's are awesome for power, but they cost more for maintenance and repairs can be much more. The fuel is more expensive and a 11 or 12 model will also need DEF. The Ford with a 5.4 3valve is ok, same for the 6.8 v10 3valve, but they have/need to be well maintained or you can have timing chain issues, oil pressure issues and may even need a engine to solve the problem.

Any idea what the camper will be? The truck choice will affect or limit the camper choice.
Now that the kids are grown the motor home just sits. The fuel it consumes will pay for a pretty decent room some where. Something to also think about. Not that we do not enjoy traveling in the motor home. It has it definite advantages. But when we travel it about 600 miles per day. 30 mpg with the car and regular fuel verses the motor home at 8 mpg and premium.
We do use a hotel discount plan and have booked a room minutes before arrival.

Back