• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Bench Racing 101

bear

Reaction score
Pretty much most of us are gear heads and we've all hung around garages at one point in time with a beer in our hands bench racing . Well think of this thread as just that . You got a good story about that time that brand X dared challenge you ? You got a funny story about that time working on your hot rod and you got hit in the head with that BFH ? You 4x4 guy's , You got a good or funny story about the last time you went wheel'in ? Post it here . "Hop's" how about starting us off with that funny story that you posted in the other thread just to get us going ?

I don't have as good a story as Halifax does, but I had some fun in a vehicle I never would have thought could have done so well. My 93 Cheby S 10 work truck! 4 banger 5 speed. Drive it for a few months before I ever got into a race, so I knew the truck well enough to launch it nice and hard. The lack of power helped me keep traction banging the gears. The first and most notable was a guy in a Porsche 911. Was even planning on a race but he was. Both tool off from a stop sign at the same time and I showed him how to drive! He was concerned about his ride and I sure as hell wasn't, so I didn't short shift like he did. He was at my rear bumper at the end of second gear and never gained anything. He tried again at the next stop and did better, but with the same result. On the same stretch I pull up against a Fox body Stang that wanted to play. I only had to go 300 feet, but I got off the light til my turn. The look on his face was priceless, " I got beat by that?" I miss that truck. Knew it well.

Most of my other racing was done in cars that wouldn't win ever, I was an opponent for the sake of having 2 cars run. The only time I raced my Polara, I was having ignition issues past light throttle cruising, haven't had a competitor around me since I moved some years ago. Not much muscle running around that I come across. Crap! I forgot my beer! I'll make up for it in a few hours up north looking for a 12 point buck!

Hearing that story about the Porsche reminds me of one . "Years" ago me and my wife lived way down on the south shore and I had to commute to work . I didn't have a beater at the time to take the 45 min. ride back and forth everyday . So I took the 4:11's out of my wife's 383 70 Dart and thru in a set of 3:55's in to be more highway friendly . One day I come across this guy dressed in a business suit driving a Black Porsche with the wing and spoilers and everything and he "didn't" like to be passed . So here I come in this lil faded blue Dodge Dart with the factory rally wheels and duel scoop hood . The first time , I think he thought I was an easy target as I started to pass him and he looked over and probably said something like "yah right" . He quickly found out that it wasn't going to be that easy as I pulled away on him and he didn't have enough to catch up and pass me . It soon became a thing . Every other day he would see this lil blue Dart coming down the highway and every other day he would try and pass me but never could . To this day , I bet that guy never did figure out why he couldn't pass that lil blue Dart on rt. 3 .

Oh and by the way , this is the lil blue Dart .
70 dart.jpg

ok weird one here 1966 dynamic 88 wagon, gutted to the fullest weighed about 2600 or so small block 327 out of a 65 vette dual quad, Foam mattress in the the back past the Camaro buckets heated by an ac condenser under it with heater hoses to it just to keep her clothes off. Beer keg in the spare tire well that came up through the inside of the top of a console from a old Buick wildcat~! Those were the days!!!!

Last edited:
OH and the back doors were welded shut and a straight piece of lexan went from the front door posts to the tailgate posts. Got to scan some pics of this not the girl!

OH and the back doors were welded shut and a straight piece of lexan went from the front door posts to the tailgate posts. Got to scan some pics of this not the girl!
I got to see the pictures of this one ! lol

So what happened with your Dart and your drive shaft ? Pictures of that would be good too !

I don't have as good a story as Halifax does, but I had some fun in a vehicle I never would have thought could have done so well. My 93 Cheby S 10 work truck! 4 banger 5 speed. Drive it for a few months before I ever got into a race, so I knew the truck well enough to launch it nice and hard. The lack of power helped me keep traction banging the gears. The first and most notable was a guy in a Porsche 911. Was even planning on a race but he was. Both tool off from a stop sign at the same time and I showed him how to drive! He was concerned about his ride and I sure as hell wasn't, so I didn't short shift like he did. He was at my rear bumper at the end of second gear and never gained anything. He tried again at the next stop and did better, but with the same result. On the same stretch I pull up against a Fox body Stang that wanted to play. I only had to go 300 feet, but I got off the light til my turn. The look on his face was priceless, " I got beat by that?" I miss that truck. Knew it well.

Most of my other racing was done in cars that wouldn't win ever, I was an opponent for the sake of having 2 cars run. The only time I raced my Polara, I was having ignition issues past light throttle cruising, haven't had a competitor around me since I moved some years ago. Not much muscle running around that I come across. Crap! I forgot my beer! I'll make up for it in a few hours up north looking for a 12 point buck!
Remember Mob , Where just a bunch of gear heads drinking beer maybe waiting for the pizza guy to show up , talking cars and telling stories so if you have any interesting or funny car related stories feel free to pipe in . Here's what I think is a pretty good ( non race ) story . A while back a buddy of mine had picked up an ole Ramcharger . It needed some work but ran dam good . So I was cruising by his house one day to check out his new truck . I'm pulling into his driveway and I see him standing there beside the truck and he has both doors open and he's shaking a big rattle can . I'm figuring he's just going to spray a lil paint of some of the rust areas or something . I ask him what's up ? What's in the cans ? He's tells me that he had found two big holes in the door jams and he's going to fix it . I bought this expanding spray foam that should do just the trick . I asked him , why don't you just put some metal in there and do it right ? He's says , Nah this will be just fine and then I'll just shave it down after it dries and glass over it . I say , I wouldn't do it like that but it's your truck and watch out that stuff really does expand pretty good . He say's it'll be fine . So I left as he's working on his third can . I get a call the next day . He's in a panic . He's telling me how he can't get his doors open . I drive over there and there's the Ramcharger sitting there and the foam had expanded so much that it was coming out all around the door jam and had sealed both doors shut . It was the funniest thing I had ever seen and I just broke down laughing . He's all upset , yelling "IT'S NOT FUNNY !" as he was grabbing the door handle and pulling so hard that the truck was rocking back and forth . It took us all the rest of that day to cut that stuff away and finally get them dam doors open . I think the lesson learned that day was "don't" use spray foam as a filler or if you do , don't use it in your door jams and then close the doors while it dries . lol

Here is one when I was working in a gas station in the 70's a guy towed his 6beautifull 67 ss in and said it would not run. Opened the hood and the dizzy wires looked like someone's hair parted down the middle, 4 left and four right. Put them where they belonged and it ran great, he comes back in to get the car and was pissed off the engine looked "not show" ready!

Here is one when I was working in a gas station in the 70's a guy towed his 6beautifull 67 ss in and said it would not run. Opened the hood and the dizzy wires looked like someone's hair parted down the middle, 4 left and four right. Put them where they belonged and it ran great, he comes back in to get the car and was pissed off the engine looked "not show" ready!
I would have asked him , "do you want to drive it to the show or tow it ? Your choice."

That reminds of back when I had my shop and a guy had come in with a red 68 Charger he had just picked up . He wanted me to take off a brand new set of high dollar Mallory spark plug wires and install a set of cheap Accel wires . Because the Accel wires where red and his wires where blue and they clashed with the color of his car . o_O

That reminds of back when I had my shop and a guy had come in with a red 68 Charger he had just picked up . He wanted me to take off a brand new set of high dollar Mallory spark plug wires and install a set of cheap Accel wires . Because the Accel wires where red and his wires where blue and they clashed with the color of his car . o_O
Some times it does not pay to question stupidity. Hope you walked away with a good set of Mallory wires.

Back