• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Bed Toolbox, good idea?

Not my cup of tea. Everything you will ever need in the bottom of the box with no way to reach it from the ground.
In fact the last truck we bought had one in the bed when we went to pick it up and told the previous owner he could keep it.
Had to use that type of box before and no way. If you really need more storage go to side boxes.

I have a normal tool box in the back of my plow truck, it's not too deep so things don't get lost in the bottom. I like it and use it for things I don't want in the truck, hitches, jumper cables, tow rope, etc. I have never seen the sliding tool box you have shown, it looks interesting.

I have a gull wing box in my truck, that works rather well for me. The style of box you are showing, I would need to climb in the bed of my D250 to get to most things in it.

If they manufactured these thing so they would roll between the wheel wells and would slid from front to back. Then maybe. As TopHat stated climbing in the bed just to get something out off the box is not an option.

I'm likely not the one to give advice. I not only don't know anything, heck, I don't even suspect anything.

But I do have a diamond-plate cross-bed tool box in my '90 F150 extended cab pickup. Came with the truck, and it's handy. The truck's only jacked up a couple of inches. The toolbox is about 16 inches deep, and I can reach over the sides to get at stuff down to the bottom about two feet in, from both sides -- I bolted down a couple of chunks of 2x4 to keep things I might need quick in an emergency (jack, flares, 1st aid kit) from sliding to the middle, so it's always in reach.

I keep the back seat down, don't have extra passengers -- my old lab rides in a dog-bed back there, leaves half the back seat for the stuff I do need to get at fast, rain or shine -- tool box, coats, etc. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't mind climbing into the bed to get things I don't use often, like jumper cables, shovel, ax, kitty litter for traction. Even at 77, climbing up is no big deal.

Only thing I don't like about the tool-box is, I have to remove it to get my little 4x4 UTV into the bed. I know, I could use a trailer, but why?

Back