• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Battery slowly draining

65 Dartman

Reaction score
Got a friend who has a 92 or 93 Dakota whose battery keeps draining down over a short time. If he doesn't drive the truck for a couple of days, the battery is dead. Charge the battery up, truck starts right up until it's left for several days then dead again. Told him he might have a light on someplace - maybe glove box light or something similar. He said it doesn't have a glove box light. Any other suggestions/places I can pass on to him to try and find the drain?

You can try disconnecting the battery while it's sitting for a few day's and then reconnect it and see if the battery is holding a charge . If it is then something is drawing on it all the time and if it is dead then you'll know if it's time for a new battery or not . Just my two cents .

You can try disconnecting the battery while it's sitting for a few day's and then reconnect it and see if the battery is holding a charge . If it is then something is drawing on it all the time and if it is dead then you'll know if it's time for a new battery or not . Just my two cents .

My friend has already tried disconnecting the battery. He said he left it disconnected for several weeks and it started right up when he connected it back up. He also said that when it's running the volt gauge indicates the alternator is charging OK. I thought a light might be on as that happened to me - the trunk light in a 69 Charger I had was staying on and slowly draining the battery if I didn't use the car for awhile. It's got us puzzled. He doesn't want to take it somewhere to have them try and find the problem.

There really isn't to much on a Dakota that can be used when the key is off. Just head lights and interior lights if i am not mistaking. Does it have an aftermarket radio or accessories of some sort that may have been improperly hooked up? Also is there anything else electrical that doesn't work properly? Could be an indicator of what is wrong.

There really isn't to much on a Dakota that can be used when the key is off. Just head lights and interior lights if i am not mistaking. Does it have an aftermarket radio or accessories of some sort that may have been improperly hooked up? Also is there anything else electrical that doesn't work properly? Could be an indicator of what is wrong.

I will check with him later today. IIRC it still has the OEM AM/FM/Cassette radio in it.

EDIT: Checked with my friend this afternonn and my memory was not failing me - the radio is the original one that came with the truck and no aftermarket accessories of any kind.

Last edited:
Back