• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

ATF confusion

cyclesick

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the group. I have a 1979 w200 with a 727 Trans. My owner's manual calls for "Dexron with Mercon" ATF. I'm having a lot of trouble finding that fluid. Is there an alternative that you guys are using? Thanks in advance for any help or info.

Well I'll add 1 thing and it pisses me off.
I just had to get a case of ATF+4 this morning... .$132 damn bucks for ONE CASE OF ATF. Can we say ridiculous?
I just put a different trans in my Durango and I paid more money for fluid than I did for the trans that went in... Though I've had that trans sitting under the shelf for a few years..... Like double for fluid vs what the trans cost me....
Granted this was from a u pull on a weekend they had a sale. But from all aspects looked to be very freshly overhauled. But $11/quart? I never saw that one coming....
Yet I have a pallet of type f in my garage I can't get any bites on my CL ad at $20/ case .....

Well I'll add 1 thing and it pisses me off.
I just had to get a case of ATF+4 this morning... .$132 damn bucks for ONE CASE OF ATF. Can we say ridiculous?
I just put a different trans in my Durango and I paid more money for fluid than I did for the trans that went in... Though I've had that trans sitting under the shelf for a few years..... Like double for fluid vs what the trans cost me....
Granted this was from a u pull on a weekend they had a sale. But from all aspects looked to be very freshly overhauled. But $11/quart? I never saw that one coming....
Yet I have a pallet of type f in my garage I can't get any bites on my CL ad at $20/ case .....
Thank you for your reply. I do appreciate the response. But, it doesn't answer my original question. My question is : What ATF are people using in the OLDER 727's from the 70's and early 80's in place of the Dexron/Mercon since that fluid is now so hard to find? Since this forum is supposed to be for pre-1981 Dodge trucks, I thought this would be the place to ask.

Use Dexron III/Mercon, it's easy to find. If you want to go all out, get a full synthetic

I've always used O'Reilly Conventional Automatic Transmission Fluid Dexron III-H, Mercon 1 Gallon - D-1 Part # D-1 Line: ORO. I use it in stock and built 904/727s. I don't think an old Torqueflite cares too much.

65 sporty, my5thmopar- Thanks for getting back to me. My problem is that in my area there are no O'Reillys and no other lps seems to carry dexronIII. I guess I'll have to find an online source.

Dex 3 is the same exact thing. +4 is the synthetic version for anything with a lockup torque converter.
65 sporty, my5thmopar- Thanks for getting back to me. My problem is that in my area there are no O'Reillys and no other lps seems to carry dexronIII. I guess I'll have to find an online source.
No O'Reillys in your area! What are the kids that think stick on vent holes and tribal decals that add house power to do?

captainchrysler, thanks for getting back to me. I didn't know that about the ATF+4. That's probably why all the LBS's in my area keep directing me to ATF+4 when I try to find listings for it online. As for the "lick & stick" extra horsepower, we are a pitifully deprived bunch!

Back